HobbyKing Bixler v2 setup

Tony Harrison 2

Bought a new Bixler 2 earlier this year, after the disappointments of crashing lovingly constructed traditional model kits... Assembly is very simple: I've built two planes so far, each of which flies very well (under close guidance from experienced chums) so I know the basics. But I have problems getting this Bixler going.

It was complete except for a battery and RX: I bought a new Spektrum AR410 from Stan Yeo my regular supplier, liked the idea of an internal antenna, used their 400 models previously. This matches my Spektrum Dx6i radio. Servo leads are all connected into the correct bits of the RX (unmarked! had to check online, but all are in the right sockets). Throttle, elevator and rudder all work OK, got them centred; I know one should disconnect the battery first when shutting down, but I've tried powering off the radio first - which causes the throttle to go full on! I hear there's some kind of "failsafe" for this but no idea what that might be...

Main problem is the ailerons do nothing: slight noises from within, but no movement. Tried swapping over the two aileron leads inside the fuselage, changing polarity on the RX connection - no improvement. Faulty kit, or am I failing to do something obvious? Stan says he's had no AR410s returned, and they seem well thought of.

BTW it's confusing when surfing the Net for info since there are references to the Bixler 2 having flaps - mine just has ailerons.

Thanks - Tony

Hi Tony

I would do some basic checking i.e. swap over aileron and say elevator and see whether the ailerons then work with the elevator stick . You should be able to isolate the problem , as for the throttle take the prop off and do the throttle calibrate , full throttle on TX power up Rx and when it beeps drop to zero . Also check your TX servo direction isn't reversed .

The Bixler 2 is a great machine on my second ( fire in garage ate number 1) the first had its wings glued on and the nose reglued back on twice and still flew great . Launch left handed and just flies out of your hand keep a little elevator in and it's away , love flying it into wind then reducing throttle until it just sits there in the same place then see how many circuits you can do on the field without power , magic for the price .

Gentlemen, thanks for your advice. After the alarming experience of full throttle on switching off my TX I removed the prop, as suggested! Puzzled by Brian's reference to "throttle calibrate" but will do that. Re flaps, there aren't any and I certainly wouldn't want them at all, but I've seen Internet references to flaps on the Bixler 2 - I suspect this model has slightly different names in different markets, certainly no flaps on my model clearly described on the box (new this year) as "Bixler v2". I shall try swapping, first, the aileron & rudder connections; and Colin's suggestion of substituting another RX is a good idea, will remove a AR400 from another model and try that. Not sure David's suggestion of "Mode 2" is applicable: I've heard of these different modes but not sure my basic Spektrum Dx6i has a switchable facility for this.

rgds Tony

Tony

For info only all electric planes should have the ESC /motor calibrated against the TX so they both know where max and min are , I once looked at a down on power motor thinking of changing it when bingo I calibrated the ESC and got the power back .

As for the flaps on a Bix 2 they are hinged but you need to cut the foam to free them if you want to use them and there are cutouts in the foam for 9g servos with blanks in . As said they are not needed if I can't land mine within 6 feet of myself without flaps then I think I'm getting old. Hope this helps .

From the top Tony, to clear up any confusion

The Failsafe is set by binding with the throttle stick Down in the Motor Off position

The DX6i can be set up in any of 4 Modes

And does need the mode selected ELECTRONICALLY in the set up list as well as Mechanically with the back removed

Or your trims and channel selection will be out of kilter

It is ok pulling and swapping servo plugs, in other channels

But if a Wireless Buddy DX6 was used with the model

Then the Master DX6 would operate the wrong surfaces with its Mode 2 stick selection

Just avoid all this by setting up the mode on the DX6i with the available mode window in the menus

Edited By Denis Watkins on 23/12/2019 11:14:13

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again to those who offered helpful advice. Here's the answer for those as dim as I am: more by luck than anything else, in scanning the TX manual I found reference to a special setting for dual wing servos, that has to be activated. Did that, and the ailerons work...

Now I just have to find a way of superimposing the wing & fuselage mounting holes in line so that I can insert the retaining bolts! Ought to be amazingly straightforward but so far it's defeated me, and with these squashy foamed-plastic things one can't use too much force, or grip things too strongly...

rgds Tony

You are not dim FB3. With two ailerons you can use one servo to operate both ailerons mechanically (torque rods) or alternatively one servos driving each aileron. These two aileron servos can either both be connected via a Y lead to the aileron port on your receiver or alternatively, one servo connected to the aileron port of your receiver while the other aileron servo connected to the receiver 'Aux' (auxiliary) port of your receiver. In that case you will need to select 'duel wing servo mode' on your transmitter for it to 'know' that the aux channel is operating your second aileron servo.

Posted by David Ovenden on 13/01/2020 21:53:12:

Tony

Hope you get the model sorted OK. Will you be taking it out with you to St Jean this year?

David

Hello David, good to hear from you - never mind the model, I hope you're sorted! But yes, nearly ready to try the Bixler: have abandoned the seemingly impossible task of aligning the provided machine screws through the fuselage/wings, and following advice here I'm going to use a DIY rubber-band retainer system. All dependent on weather too, of course, and right now it's utterly vile! Hope things are better in Gard - where I shall be bringing the Bixler in early April. Angela will be there early Feb for a brief visit, then the two of us on, er, the 8th April. Speaking of which, best to Avril!

Tony

Posted by fly boy3 on 14/01/2020 07:24:21:

Hi, can you explain what the "dual wing servo mode " mentioned by the OP actually does ? Tony,I too can be dim as I am just getting started with 2.4ghz lol. Cheers

FB3, I don't know what TX system you have, but mine's a basic Spektrum Dx6i, and more by luck than judgement in scanning (desperately) the manual for some hint as to why the ailerons wouldn't operate, I found a reference to an option in model-setup for dual servos. The Bixler 1.1v2 uses individual aileron servos in each wing, with the leads running to a Y-connector and thence into the RX. I activated this option and got aileron function - previously, not a peep. Good luck with your own 2.4Ghz progress.

Tony

Tony

Glad you have found a solution but the DUAILAILE option in the Set up list should not make any difference with the Bixler 2 aileron set up.

As both ailerons are connected by a Y lead only the 'Ail' port on the Rx is used. This port operates in exactly the same way regardless as to whether the DUALAILE option is selected or not.

It sounds like something else is also going on.

The MONITOR function, also in the Set up list, shows what the Tx 'thinks' it is sending. It would be interesting to see if the 'Ail' channel marker still moves without the DUALAILE option being set. If it does that suggest for some reason the Rx is just not 'reading' the Tx aileron command. Not an ideal situation.

The 'Ail' position marker certainly moves normally on both my DX6i with or without the DUALAILE option. wink 2

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 14/01/2020 11:49:41:

Tony

Glad you have found a solution but the DUAILAILE option in the Set up list should not make any difference with the Bixler 2 aileron set up.

As both ailerons are connected by a Y lead only the 'Ail' port on the Rx is used. This port operates in exactly the same way regardless as to whether the DUALAILE option is selected or not.

It sounds like something else is also going on.

The MONITOR function, also in the Set up list, shows what the Tx 'thinks' it is sending. It would be interesting to see if the 'Ail' channel marker still moves without the DUALAILE option being set. If it does that suggest for some reason the Rx is just not 'reading' the Tx aileron command. Not an ideal situation.

The 'Ail' position marker certainly moves normally on both my DX6i with or without the DUALAILE option. wink 2

Simon, thanks for your interesting contribution. Now I'm worried, in case the problem isn't solved after all! I tried repeatedly to get aileron function: swapped leads over, changed polarities, tried a different RX - still no aileron movement at all, just faint intermittent noises. Discovered the dual-aileron option, activated that - Bingo! Ailerons worked. The receiver by the way is a new Spektrum 410. I've just finished the last details, looking forward to trying it in the air when the vile weather subsides.

rgds Tony