Hobbyking Film

Hi guys

After months of waiting, Hobbyking have finally got some covering film back in stock at their global warehouse.
But, beware.
Quickly added a couple of rolls to my cart, total value £12.90, but when I went to check shipping I found that the 'cheapest' was Fedex Priority at £15.99.
Make it a point of principle not to pay more for postage that the cost of the items, but how can HK justify such a colossal shipping cost?
Do they not want to sell stuff?

Jeff

Advert

I checked only a day or so ago and nil stock, so if they have just had some deliveries in Hong Kong from their suppliers in mainland China, it could be that stock will be available in the UK/Euro warehouses before too long. Hopefully.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 08/03/2020 17:29:18

I got caught the same way. What I didn't realise until delivery was that I had to pay additional import tax of nearly TWICE the cost of Fedex delivery. I had no option, having paid HK for the items, but to pay the £28 additional charge for customs to release the item for delivery. angry

Hi

Ive used easycoat seconds recently for the first time I found it to be ok to use. To be honest I think its a bargain at 9.99 a roll for 5 metres

I found it better than hobbyking covering when doing the wingtips on my woodpecker

Sometimes when using hk film when it comes to the wingtips I struggle to get them right but with the easycoat I managed to get them spot on with no wrinkles straight away.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy more of it.

Seeing as hk has not had any film for a while20200208_112248.jpg

Hmmm,

not picked up on this thread before. I have so far only used the Easycote light. It was fine but the colour a little anaemic. Possibly because it was the ‘light’ option. Other than seemed ok albeit not so comfortable as HK.

However with HK never in stock I shall try the ‘full’ easycote and see.

Tim

Hi Wilco

Same thought occurred to me.

Bear in mind that it is priced per meter, so a 5mtr roll would be £15, or twice the price of the HK stuff. Still a lot cheaper than Profilm, so worth a try.

Also noticed Bangood are selling film as well link but in restricted range of colours. If anything this might be the same as HK product.

Jeff

Hi JC2, thanks a lot for that link, it's made up my mind that's it's not for me, as I am always on an OAP budget.lol. John, thanks for your link too. Just finished covering my Winter build in HK covering. Colour Jacinth. I needed 6 square inches to complete !!! I see Rapid models stock it. Cheers

I agree, the Rapid Models film looks to be the same as HK (and the ones I want are out of stock teeth 

The BG film is different to HK, I bought a roll of white and it is much tighter wrapped. I've only done a test piece so far, it adhered well and shrank well, very similar to HK. I wont be using it on a model until I've had it in the hot sun to see if it sags, so it will be a few months yet. I've ruined too many models with old polypropylene solarfilm sagging in the past so don't want to risk it until tested.

Incidentally I used some solarfilm polyester recently (yes 4 to 5 years old) and after a few weeks it started to wrinkle/sag. It tightened up with the iron again reasonably so I'll see how it goes. Never had this before on SF polyester, still got some in stock but I will not be using any more.

The reason the rapid rc film looks like hobby King film is because it is, they buy it from hobby King along with lots of the stuff they sell. If you don't beleave me ask them they will confirm it.

I have no problem with buying from rapid rc at the end of the day there a business which needs to make profit, if they have the goods and I need or want it I have to pay the price.

I have no connection with rapid just a happy customer, and there service good with quick dispatch and sensible postage cost.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 09/03/2020 20:07:22:

The reason the rapid rc film looks like hobby King film is because it is, they buy it from hobby King along with lots of the stuff they sell. If you don't beleave me ask them they will confirm it.

I have no problem with buying from rapid rc at the end of the day there a business which needs to make profit, if they have the goods and I need or want it I have to pay the price.

I have no connection with rapid just a happy customer, and there service good with quick dispatch and sensible postage cost.

I guess that they're the reason why Hobbyking are always out of stock then ........

• 2 weeks later...