Windrider Fox

Mine arrived today, one week after ordering, in a superbly strong box, very well packed.

Nicely moulded EPP, I'm going to be fitting the rudder servo, is yours flying with a rudder??

Longest time I had to wait for an Email response from them.....30 mins.  Emailed to say thanks on it's arrival ......got a reply in seconds........bit of a different work ethic????

(I recently sent all the UK "top players" a request for availability and price for 6 of something adding to well over £300.......most (listed dealers) could not be bothered to even TRY to service the request........... and this at a time when you'd think they'd like to do business!!!!)

it had a lot of interest at the lleyn fly in,i dont have a rudder on her just ,  mine is really light  and i love it .the lads in our club have  had a few models form them all fly really excellent  ,as for uk"top players" you are right ,as a club we needed to  buy 6 graupner gliders we e mailed 11 had one responce back from leeds model shop (dealt with before really good ) would recomend them  .in these times of tightening the old belt you would have thought you would at least get a reply ,there you go thats life ,enjoy it i do( the plane that is) lol

• 1 month later...
Hi Iawnski - I too stumbled across this model whilst searching online (why is this so difficult? Surely there's scope for a one-stop slope shop in the UK...) - where did you get yours from? I also see models available via Ebay direct from HK but doubt thier quality. If this Fox flies nicely then I may be tempted...

<!-- @page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

I had one of the early ones (which didn't have carbon rods all the way out to the tip - design changed now) in the early part this year.... unfortunately it lost out when a Jart took the tail off in flight.
Damage done during collision and subsequent "arrival" back on the slope mean if was not worth repairing. Shame, because I really liked it.

I bought mine direct from http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=164 in Hong Kong.
It arrived Very well packaged, and Ming (the chap who sells them) frequents rcgroups and is very helpful.

Mine had the rudder, though I over sized it from the original marks and it had more than enough authority.

I'll try and see if I've still got some pictures some where...

Matthew Lloyd wrote (see)

Excellent - thank you. I've ordered one - with FREE shipping - my own little Christmas treat!

Iawnski - did you leave yours in the 'raw' or cover it in CW tape? I'm wondering wether it would be better to treat it to a skin of tape with a Profilm covering. 

Mine had no covering (in the 'raw' as you put it), but the incident with the jart I tried to repair and covered with solafilm.... BIG mistake. It pull the foam and all out of shape as the wings are quite thin... but then again I didn't CW tape first...

To Rudder or Not to Rudder... that is the question; I'm someone who likes rudder, as helps with some aerobatic maneuvers, so I added it.
Flys nicely with it.... Not much help I know... I think its gonna be personal choice.

You could always build “as-is” (without) and see what you think. It can always be added later; however it would mean running a servo extension cable (possibly by cutting a fine slot)?

One thing I did do was add a strip of heavy duty clear plastic packing tape to the bottom of the fuselage.
As its clear it doesn't show up, but does help protect belly a bit. 

With regards to looks, Scale has never really "done it for me", however the Fox has a special place in my heart as I'm a full size glider pilot who was privileged to have a "washing machine ride" in a real fox with a Very good aerobatic pilot!
Wow! What an experience!!!

I may suck it and see...

I was thinking of adding CW tape to the fuz anyway.

A ride in a fox? Strewth! I have been up once off the Long Mynd, and the winch launch was amazing. The whole experience was amazing, and my only concern was all the other gliders in the sky at the same time! Thouroughly recommend even a trial flight to anyone - sublime.

Matthew Lloyd wrote (see)

I may suck it and see...

Thouroughly recommend even a trial flight to anyone - sublime.

That's why full size glider training concentrates so much on developing the pupils lookout and field of view scan.

If you think the amount of full size gliders in a relatively small area is impressive, then try and get along to one of your regional competitions next year, such as Lasham, Booker, Nympsfield,etc...

They use a held start to give all competitors a chance to get established, and the "competition finishes" (VNe at treetop height) is very impressive for both spectators, as well as very exciting for the pilots. 

Some lovely gliding / aviation pictures can be seen at www.whiteplanes.com. (could be useful for getting that real scale feel?).
The site was the work of the late Stuart Lawson, a truly exceptional photographer who had a particular passion for gliding, and is maintained in his memory.

Agreed. Lines to die for, and the height of design and technology.... but I'm very lucky to have a share in a full size Discus 2B and can fly the clubs Duo & DG1000,
so .... " been there, got the tee-shirt "... and probably a bit biased.

Also my grandfather (Robert Kronfeld) designed and flew a 30m glider (the Austria) in WOOD back in the 40s... a feat which has only recently been repeated in the last few years with the ETA (http://www.eta-aircraft.de) using composite materials.

30m?! Amazing. Such a high aspect ratio! Incredibly low wing loading too. Not sure they look right though - it looks so fragile:

http://www.leichtwerk.de/eta/images/galerie/marzinzik09.jpg

These machines are designed purely for performance, but look how beautiful the results are. I recall a display at Fairford one year where a pair of gliders performed the most impressive display - and such relief amongst all the after-burner roar that filled the rest of the day!

Sorry, we are getting away a bit from the original thread, so this is my last "off topic" post on this thread...

Full Size glider wings may look fragile, but are extremely strong....
Take a look at the DG website. Here is the story of load testing a wing (to destruction)
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/bruchversuch-e.html

Some impressive video is also included in the article.

I know of some models have been un-wittingly tested to destruction, but I wonder how many would cope with these tests? 

With regards to the windrider fox, the wings are a little more fragile and very thin... hence the reason Ming Lou extended the carbon to the tips.