Windrider Fox

Kev....just because he's too modest to say so, Ulty is a long time control line combat / race freak, and has flown and pitted for the best of them at Barton over the years.

However, neither of these 2 handsome chaps is him

Besides, the results of a hit in the combat circle means a few seconds flat walk to pick up the remains, whereas the Orme sometimes provides a tad more exercise

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Fox - wings not finished yet (still waiting for replacements from Ming), but may have to adapt the ones I have if I am to maiden on the Mynd this weekend (my wings lack the spar slot, but I could feed in a reduced diameter carbon rod that will fit INSIDE the exisiting spars).

I removed the moulding 'bumps' off the fuz with W&D paper and a cool iron, filled some of the major defects with spackle, and then gave it two coats of paint with a brush. The result is still a bit rough, but for a cheapie like this it will do. I MAY do the same to the wings, mainly to cover it with enough paint to hide the spars which can be seen through the foam. It just needs balancing now - a qucik check reveals that even with a 9.5g servo in the fin I am nose heavy, so will have to hide some church roof on the back somehow. The colour was added using left over signwriters vinyl from my Wildthing.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/26811/DSCF7438_0.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/26811/DSCF7437.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/26811/DSCF7436.jpg

My replacement wings have just arrived

VERY well packaged, these wings are much stiffer than the ones originally supplied and have a slot for the spar - excellent!

I can recommend Ming of Windrider as he has been very prompt with his emails and quick with the replacement wings. The model is of good quality and went together very easily, and I am very happy with the whole experience.

It will fly this weekend! Up for chucking it for me, Lee?

Spent this evening fitting the 7.5gram servos in the new wings and setting it all up - very easy indeed.

I added some CW tape to the ailerons to stiffen them up, and now find the model balances perfectly - no lead required.

Kev - have you set yours up with spoilerons/flaperons? Not this this model will take much stopping, but it does seem a good opportunity to practice this set up. Somehow, without playing with the set up, I have spoilerons on flap setting one, and flaperons on setting two! So I need to attend to this regardless. Also, are you flying yours with the suggested 2" from LE CofG?

I think I rather like the llines of the Fox - anybody out there flying a mouldie Fox?

hi all,alan here in johannesburg south africa .i managed to get my supplier in south africa to bring a fox in for me and im busy completing the installation.Im fitting a brushless motor as we dont have to many slopes here in johannesburg.awesome little package and hope to maiden it this weekend.has any one fitted a brushless motor to thers yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've made a start on mine now and having been inspired by a couple of examples seen on the net Im electrifying mine... I'm keen for my model to do 2 things - a lightweight slope soarer for use on days when our PSS models are grounded and a flat field glider for gentle aeros when Im at the power club.

My chosen set up is as follows;

Axi 2208/20 mounted with the radial convertor on a 1/4" light ply firewall.
9x5" Aeronaut CAM folding prop.
JETI Advance 08 ESC.
Overlander 3S 1500mAh LiPo.
Although Ive not finished and flown yet this set up seems to give more than enough power for adequate climbs and gentle aeros. Well, I hope so anyway.

Servos - Ive fitted HS65s all round - I moved the elevator servo to the tail to combat the motor mass up front, there's one in the fin for the all important rudder, and the wing mounted servos have been exited on the top sides to avoid slope rash.

I've increased the span of the ailerons and made them from balsa, conventionally hinged into medium balsa sub-TE. This stiffens the wings up nicely.

I've mounted the LiPo battery over the CofG in a cavity I cut over the wing. Access through the canopy which is still removable and fitted as designed. Other than that she is stock build. Heres a few pictures as she stands, Ill post more as we move along to completion!

Axi motor in situ mounted to a 1/4" light ply firewall using a radial mount.

Firewall is keyed into fuselage sides aiding both alignment and the load bearing into the foam.

Bringing the 2 fuselage sides together finishes it off - just needs a 40mm spinner and a folding prop.

Rudder cut oversize, conventionally hinged on medium balsa fin spar - plenty of movement!

Compartment cut out of the foam above the wing - a 1500mAh LiPo mounted here sets the CofG nicely!

Ele servo moved to the back end to help balance the motor and ESC up front - also aids wiring in the nose.

A couple more shots from tonight - I fitted the prop and did a power check - seems to have more thrust than weight - I just hope Ive got the thrust line about right!!!
Nose now complete with a fairly well matched spinner and 9" folding prop

Ive added a degree or 2 of right side thrust to combat the torque under power, but ive elected to keep the vertical thrust line at zero degrees - I hope this is proven right as its tough to alter now...

Side view of the fully rigged machine during a CofG and power check tonight.

I like the extra width on the ailerons - good move. I flew mine the other day and have come to the conclusion that this model is OK - but nothing more than that. It lacks inertia, and flying it generally feels more like stirring your sticks in cold porridge rather than anything crisp. I will keep it though, and use it in light lift. It hasn't really improved my flying, and flying my WT afterwards reveals the SAS foamie wing to be far smoother and far crisper - and that's saying something!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Phoenix Rainbow which I have converted into an electric glider tug. It tows lightweight gliders ok in the EasyGlider weight range but struggles with anything much heavier, or without ailerons. So.... I have just ordered a Windrider Fox from Galaxy models. The plan is to put a tow release in the nose. What I need to know is

a) are BRC cheapie (£15 for 4) servos adequate for this model?

b) what's the balance like with a servo in the tail for the rudder? ie any nose weight reqd?

c) has anyone successfully thermal soared a Fox?

• 3 years later...