Scratch Build Twin

G-JIMG

It's been a while since I posted anything on the build, life has started getting in the way again!

Fortunately for me the real aircraft has covers over the cabin windows.

window covers.jpg

This means I do not have to model the cabin internals, but I did need swmbo to make up some grey 'quilted' cloth.

She did an excellent job, although she now stipulates that it means she made the model!

cimg2238.jpg

I've also spent some time installing the Grilles I made earlier into the nose.

cimg2240.jpg

cimg2242.jpg

It looks a bit rough at the moment but a coat of paint will work wonders.

I've also been making the Engine Oil Cooler pods for under the nacelles.

cimg2245.jpg

They were made in the same way as earlier moldings. Balsa male mold > silicon female mold > fibre glass part.

Once the front and backs have been cut out they will be secured under the nacelles over a hole that will provide an additional exit for cooling air entering through the front scoop.

Jim.

No new pictures I'm afraid, I'm still covering the fuselage and installing the T tail.

However, I have weighed the, nearly complete, model and it turns out my pre-build estimate of 14lb was wildly inaccurate. The model will actually come in at under 9lb. A wing loading of around 45 is still high, but manageable for scale flight.

Jim.

The vertical tail assembly is now fixed firmly in place, as is the dorsal fin. The horizontal tail assembly is loosely taped in place to ensure everything lines up before I connect the elevator snake and the wiring for the lights.

To give some idea of scale, the ruler is 13" end to end.

plus tail assy.jpg

Jim.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...