Weston Capiche 140 Refurb

Next I needed to lay out the internal electrics.One problem that was apparent was the different type of plug on the Etronix voltage regulator and my RX battery of choice.

p1060393.jpg

I guess I will have to rewire the regulator with a different plug to match the one on the battery which is a pain.

Before I tidy everything up I thought I would check the CoG.The wing spar (tube) is 117 mm from the leading edge. However, the operational CoG is 118mm - 240 mm to 260 mm depending how much of a hooligan you are.

p1060395.jpg

Even with the 2 lipos towards the front it is a tad tail heavy although not much. I am hoping when I install the lipos in the pipe tunnel near the front of the plane it will balance near enough to the recommended CoG. Bit of guess work there though.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 03/05/2020 16:53:11

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 03/05/2020 16:56:45

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 03/05/2020 16:52:17:

Even with the 2 lipos towards the front it is a tad tail heavy although not much. I am hoping when I install the lipos in the pipe tunnel near the front of the plane it will balance near enough to the recommended CoG. Bit of guess work there though.

You know the drill Adrian. Start with the CoG well forwards and adjust to suit your flying style. Plenty of space inside for moving stuff around.

P.S. Might be an idea to "lose" the wheel spats for the first few flights after lockdown.

I turned the Capiche upside down to arrange the power pack fitting.

p1060401.jpg

I extended the velcro on the tunnel ceiling to allow for battery adjustment, but for now the packs are sitting well forward. Added some straps for extra security.

p1060402.jpg

I will be giving some thought to securing the RX battery, as I am not sure how I am going to do it. Also I will probably have to extend one of the leads a tad from the ESC. I know this is usually a no no, but this needs to be done for access reasons.

Peter,

Not measured the AUW yet, but when the final jobs are done I will weigh the separate parts as accurately as I can.

Gary,

I am going to use 20 x10 wooden electric prop as a starting point purely because I used one on a similar sized/spec MXS aerobat and it was fine with good performance. I have an inline watt meter which I will used to answer your question accurately, but not reached that point yet.

Gary,

I think I got my watts and amps mixed up. The motor should provide 2800 watts with a 10S set up I am using so hopefully that is enough.

When I ground test I will be using a Turnigy inline watt meter (180A) which tell me what current I am drawing although I know it will be different on the ground rather than in the air. Hope that makes sense now.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 06/05/2020 07:28:45

Not much progress as a bit of soldering was required for the wiring to be acceptable in the space and configuration I have. I managed to route the series lead to be wired into the canister tunnel where the lipos will sit.

p1060405.jpg

I refitted the cowl and decided to add a couple of fixings at the bottom of the cowl to stop is "rocking" slightly

p1060406.jpg

I still have to make a ply plate to house the Rx battery which I will do next. then comes the job of setting up the control surfaces. The rudder will be straight forward, but the elevators with four wire connecting points will be so much fun.

I have still to weigh the constituent parts go get an approximate AUW.

First a few numbers.

Peter, I have weighed the Capiche 140 and it is as follows:- Power packs + RX battery come to a total of 1.3kg (2.87 lb) . The fully fitted out airframe plus wings total 4.08kg (9lb) making a grand total of 5.38kg as near as damn it for AUW.

As a starting point I have set the elevators 40mm +/-, the rudder 45mm +/-. It took me most of the afternoon to adjust and secure the cables for these working surfaces. It was quite an awkward job. When I set the aileron push rods tomorrow (nice easy job there) I will probably go for around 25 mm +/-.

I cut out an 1/8th ply RX battery plate and added the velcro strap and holding strip.

p1060407.jpg

Test fitted the RX battery and all seemed well.

p1060408.jpg

I have a few more finishing jobs to do yet such as customising it with some decals and generally tidying up the covering and giving it a good old clean. More photos soon.

Wow Adrian, that's a really good result. My fully fitted out Capiche (Saito 180) but no fuel tipped the scales at 6.5 Kg so you are 1.1 Kg lighter with your "fuel" ie battery pack.

With 2,800 watts that should give you unlimited vertical. I don't know why my Capiche airframe was so heavy but the extra weight made it a non starter for F3A aerobatics.

I use degrees for measuring control throws and generally start at 10 deg each way for aileron and elevator and 20 to 25 degs for rudder and make changes from there. The Capiche being a 3D capable airframe has larger control surfaces compared with a pure F3A design but by keeping the deflection down the Capiche is a very smooth flyer as you no doubt know.

Look forward to reading your flying report. Great outcome for the conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

A lovely flying day today so I decided to re-maiden my Capiche 140 now it's an electric model.

p1060411.jpg

p1060412.jpg

To say it was interesting is an understatement. You will see in more detail by looking at the attached video clip.

**LINK**

The problem starts around 2 mins 55 secs on the downward leg when I start to lose control authority. Prior to that she trimmed out find and as I suspected is a bit nose heavy. A couple of right clicks on the aileron and some 3-4 clicks up elevator. Good power too. The trouble started after an inverted move to see about the CoG and flying into the downward leg.

She was all over the place and when you think there is going to be a bag of bits my nerves shut off completely and a calmness comes over me. It's a good job I have a long runway as I needed all of it to get her down.

p1060413.jpg

p1060414.jpg

A slice of the port elevator had sheared off and I noticed it fluttering down as I came on to finals. Nevertheless, I suspect elevator flutter ( the first I have ever experienced since I started flying) . May be due to uneven tension in the elevator wires. Anyway got her down safely and at some point a repair job is required as she is eminently repairable. I will tape up the elevator gaps when I am finished.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 25/05/2020 14:26:14

A small lead weight under the moving elevator tip halves should cure the flutter. I have them on the big Cap.

There was no time to do a proper trimming flight, bit good result on getting back in one piece. The landing looked very tricky.

255d136e-1b24-430c-9b81-12f6fa44ad12.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 25/05/2020 17:11:48

Cheers, Ron & cymaz. Safe to say it was a bit leery for a moment there.The lead weight seems a good idea. I will repair the Capiche when the weather turns and I have to be confined to the workshop.The simplest way is to remove the whole port tailplane I guess and take is from there.