Lockdown Project - Guitalele

Tim Hooper

Welcome aboard, Geoff!

It's always surprising when you hook up with other players in a non-related context, isn't it?

Fair progress today.....

I've embedded four 8mm dowels in the heel end of the neck, and drilled corresponding holes in the body. There are another two, smaller, holes (circled) which accept the screws which pass through from the inside of the body, through the heel block, and into the neck.

20200412_095015.jpg

Installing the fret wires is a simple job involving a vice and a hammer! I secure the ends of each fret with a tiny drop of CA glue. The ends are then filed smooth, and the tops of the frets levelled and polished.

20200412_104527.jpg

I still have the option of buying a ready-made bridge, but I thought I'd have a bash at making my own first, using a scrap of (oak?) hardwood. The slots for the saddle were cut with the pullsaw.

20200412_141131.jpg

Shaping the bridge.

20200412_144016.jpg

The soundboard is glued to the (stained) body. The neck is trial fitted - a long screwdriver passes through the hole for the strap button, and then into the heel block.

A couple of issues here; The neck is too low on the body, so I need to saw off the dowels, re-drill and fit new ones about 3mm further down. I may also introduce a little bit of back angle to the joint itself.

Secondly, the bridge looks just too bulky, so it;'s probably going to get slimmed down on the sander. It's not glued to the body yet.

20200412_183842.jpg

Another day, etc......

I've sawn off the dowels as threatened, and fitted new ones to raise the neck a little. The neck is now permanently attached.

The long screwdriver fits through the hole for the strap button in the base of the body, and passes all the way through to the screws in the heel block.

20200413_093918.jpg

A bit of masking tape protects the soundboard whilst I sort out the bridge position. The scale length is typical for a tenor uke at 430mm.

20200413_120151.jpg

Tape is removed to allow the bridge to contact the soundboard, and to protect the board from excess glue.

20200413_121117.jpg

The bridge is glued and clamped.

20200413_122254.jpg

The final job this evening was to lightly sand the instrument and apply the first coat of varnish.

T'is done!

The strings went on this evening, and a bit of fettling to the nut and bridge to get the action where I want it.

It'll take a day of three before the strings settle in and it maintains its tuning for more than 2 minutes. Only then willI consider embarrassing myself.....

It has a mellow tune - not too loud, but nice for home playing.

Tim

20200416_200859.jpg

20200416_200950.jpg

20200416_201044.jpg

20200416_201059.jpg

20200416_201127.jpg

Posted by Tim Hooper on 17/04/2020 21:27:15:

As I said at the start of this nonsense, the tricky part is remembering which chord shapes (guitar or uke) are applicable to it. It's a bit confusing!

I just call a 'uke D' a D, even though its really a G wink

Edited By Phil Green on 18/04/2020 17:17:51

Thank you Gents!

A couple of years ago, if you'd have forecast that I'd be playing/singing live in public some day, then I'd have considered you as insane.

True, I've been strumming a guitar in the privacy of home for decades, but the decision to a) get a uke, and b) join a club, really has been a life-changer. Firstly, the realisation that I'm no worse than anybody else was a spur in itself, allied to the dawning revelation that I could actually sing a note or two!

The next progression was to occasionally join the (amplified) front line at the local club. Soon after that I was approached by the admin of a neighbouring club, who was looking for a new leader. So I bought an amp and a mic, and the rest is history.

Bad Moon Rising

Tim

Posted by Tim Hooper on 20/04/2020 21:36:42:

a) get a uke, and

b) join a club,

Bad Moon Rising

Tim

a) We went from guitar, classical for her, folk for me and we both have ukuleles. The thin ukulele is a Traveller and her one has circled the world including through Europe, England and Ireland.

One chap in this country quotes, "If you know how many you have you don't have enough." "How many do you have Paul?" "Oh about 85." he says. Obviously not enough. He does sell, fix and run weekend / training sessions.

I think my partner knows how many she has - I think she does ????

b) Join a club and they simply won't hear your mistakes so you can get the practise in without too much of a problem.

Bad Moon Rising - I often pick that one as it works so well. Note - have you ever thought it covers Global Warming very well?

Alex,

It's been very interesting to watch new members come along, and to witness their progress as the weeks pass by.

Starting with their tongues stuck out in concentration as they play simple down-strokes with their thumbs, whilst squinting at the music sheets. Some never get past this level, and that's fine.

Others delve into the internet tutorials, and pretty soon you see the purchase of a better uke, and the emergence of barre chords, muting, etc.

It's a great leveller, socially too. I'd been to one or two guitar clubs previously, and found they was a bit like a camera club; some posturing with their Martins and Taylors, and then then the eagerness for their turn in the spotlight, to show off their own (considerable) skills.

Uke players, on the other hand, tend to hang around the bar in a cheerful mob, irrespective of their relative skill levels! We attend a couple of uke festivals each year now; my wife doesn't play but she loves the people and the social aspect, as we'll set up a circle in the middle of the local campsite, pub car park and start banging out a few tunes for the populace.

It's the social aspect that I miss the most at the moment.

Tim

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will start a new thread so I don't hijack this one but here's an update.

This spring we moved out of our 1st floor flat into a bungalow 50 miles away.

With everything being open again now, I joined the local Men's Shed where I came across a lovely piece of Sapele and so was inspired to crack on with making my own tenor Ukulele.

I've made the neck and now I'm making the mould for the Tasmanian Blackwood body.

As I say, I'll start a new thread and do a build log on it.

Thus far, the neck is Sapele, the fingerboard is Rockwood composite Rosewood and the headstock is laminated with Ziricote.

Thanks for the inspiration to get on with it.

At the weekend I was at a bbq and was able to pull my uke out of the car and lead a sing-song which is what it's all about.

PS. I've found a local uke club too, heaven.

u neck 2.jpg

u neck 3.jpg

• Like 1