Lockdown Project - Guitalele

Tim Hooper

Those who know me on social media, will know that my other, secret, hobby lies in the building of stringed instruments - using the cigar box ethos by utilising bits of old scrap.

I've several guitars and ukuleles in my arsenal, but here's something different; a cross between a guitar and a uke - hence guitalele!

Here's some of the current collection.....

84153142_10158544762192137_2182317293059440640_o.jpg

For the last couple of years I've been more than happy to swop between guitar and ukulele, as they're different enough from each other to prevent confusion. Now, lurking in the nebulous middle ground between the two lies the Kingdom of the Guitalele - essentially a 6-string uke, but tuned higher than a guitar. The chord shapes are pure guitar, but with ukelele names. What could be simpler?
Anyway, some months ago a colleague gave me this terrible IKEA guitar, which seemed ripe for guitalele butchery....

A colleague donated this awful IKEA guitar. It really is beyond redemption, and ripe for recycling

20200329_134328.jpg

That's better! A few swipes with the pull saw gets the neck off.

20200329_164919.jpg

Now we get a bit clever. Having drawn around the body, I cut out templates from paper so I could jiggle the bits together to represent a smaller guitalele body shape...

20200330_101010.jpg

The cut out bits were assembled over the 1/16 ply soundboard blank to give an idea of the overall layout.

20200330_103244.jpg

The guitar body was relieved of the front back, as it's only the curved sides that I'll be using.

20200331_145848.jpg

Edited By Tim Hooper on 08/04/2020 22:07:00

Advert

That nasty old guitar body finally gets chopped into manageable sized bits.

20200403_105408.jpg

Surely everybody has a belt sander on the decking? Very handy for squaring up the body's parts....

20200403_111745.jpg

The body's sides get glued together.

20200403_135137.jpg

The back is made of two pieces of 1/8 ply, with a central oak strip. The crossbracings get their outer ends tapered, prior to fixing in place.

20200404_115746.jpg

The back is finally attached to the body sides. The excess will be trimmed off later.

20200404_175317.jpg

The front (soundboard) is made from 1/16 ply. Now this needs bracing inside to stop it collapsing when the strings are attached and tuned up. I used tapered pieces of hard spruce.

20200405_152250.jpg

The body shell gets treated to a side port and cut outs for the pre-amp and jack socket.

20200405_155249.jpg

The timber for the neck has been sawn down, and planed smooth. Marking out the fret positions before the neck is tapered mean that they're cut square to the neck's centre line. There are several fret calculators available free online. The scale length on this tenor is 430mm.

20200406_124323.jpg

To actually cut the slots for the fret wire, I use this fine-toothed pullsaw. A spare hacksaw blade is clamped to the saw to act as a depth limiter. Accuracy is paramount here; if the frets aren't exactly correct, then the instrument will not play in tune.

20200408_110454.jpg

The finished fret slots. The thicker portion is the nut location.

20200408_111339.jpg

I've marked out the neck blank with the side profile. Now, I've cut these out by hand before, but it seems silly not to pass it on to a mate who possesses a bandsaw, doesn't it?

20200408_114015.jpg

Posted by john stones 1 on 08/04/2020 22:30:26:

Excellent, will there be a solo on said Guitalele on completion ? note

Hopefully, yes. I'm not a virtuoso player - more of a club level strummer, if truth be known! It's only in the last couple of weeks that I've been brave enough to start posting a few videos on YouTube with my existing instruments. I even get to sing a bit too!

Spooky

Tim

An interesting thread, ukuleles. We usually go out on Thursday nights to a group where we all play ukuleles and sing but last night went to the other bigger group. We went virtually using Zoom. The leader had his mic ON and all others OFF. If anything needed to be said, commented on, between songs, you switched your mic ON (bottom left corner of your screen), talked and switched OFF again. The only problem is the limit of 40 minutes a session with Zoom and reconnecting every 40 minutes. There is talk of the group going to a paid version during the lock-down period to give unlimited time per session.

So, computer use and no viruses encountered. We used a desktop (on the floor) connected to the TV for a big screen, USB camera, boom mounted mic. They have three books of songs and we haven't got the third new one so had a laptop handy to see the latest songs on the web.

My partner has done a few ukulele instrumental rehearsals with three others over the past weeks, mics ON for all three.

Now back to RC, flew a couple yesterday and today, reasonably calm and the park is two doors away and across the road - safe because of no cars to run me down...

Thanks for the feedback Gents!

Alex, we usually meet and play weekly too. The Shrewsbury Ukulele Massive has been experimenting with ZOOM too, but I've not yet had a bash myself.

Well, my plan to get the neck bandsawn came to nothing, so I did it today by hand.....

The first bit were easy, using a small handsaw. Which just left that big chunk in the middle.

20200409_183651.jpg

A root in my late father-in-law's tool roll unearthed this rather remarkable item, I don't even know what it's called, but it carved it's way through the remaining excess in a matter of minutes.

20200409_190503.jpg

Check the date stamp on the blade!

20200409_191233.jpg

The sides of the neck were tapered with a plane..

20200410_102117.jpg

.....and then the rounding off process begun on the belt sander. Handy tool, this.

20200410_104317.jpg

Using an existing instrument as a guide, I did a quick drawing of the headstock to-be

20200410_122038.jpg

Adding 'ears' to the sides of the neck re-inforces it where the head stock angles backwards

20200410_130032.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get the neck fully sorted tomorrow, and get it aligned correctly to the body.

Posted by Phil Green on 10/04/2020 22:11:28:

My Dad made four Mountain Dulcimers, this is the one he made for me:

DadsDulcimer2.mp3

Phil, that sounds amazing! Thank you for posting the clip.

All, I also found that the mystery tool was called a drawknife, so we're all agreed there then!

Ken, My own first build was also a 3-string CBG. I learned a lot - except how to actually play the damn thing! I just couldn't get on with the picking and slide work. So I had a rethink, and built another CBG - this time a 'conventional' 6 string guitar. Incidentally, most of my hardware comes from Ebay - although Chickenbone John has a thriving website of his own.

**LINK**

Here's a video of my 6-stringer in operation;

The Snake

Tim

Right-oh, we left the guitalele build with the neck getting fettled - fret slots cut, and ears added.

The fret markers are cut from the plastic stem of a cotton bud, and CA'd into drilled holes. This is my usual method.

20200411_152847.jpg

Test-fitting the neck to the body, over a drawn centre line.

20200411_180155.jpg

A couple of screws hold the neck for now. Dowels and glue to follow!

20200411_195100.jpg

You can see how chronically askew the body is by the state of the heel block.

20200411_195107.jpg

I'm pleased with the neck. It's the most daunting part of any build, but also the most satisfying!

20200411_195115.jpg

Hi Tim,

I'm also a Ukulele/Banjolele player, Rocking Ukulele's of St Ives ( RUSTI's), that's St Ives Cambs not Cornwall.

We meet every Monday and do lots of gigs locally.

Interesting to see this thread, although I've just ordered a plan of a HP Victor to build my first scale model, I have also toyed with the idea of making my own Uke.

Unfortunately I live in a small first floor flat so machine tools are out of the question and I'd just joined my local Shed when the lockdown occurred.

I'm taking the time now to do an online Uke course to try to progress beyond first position strumming.

We use to take part in Uke workshops at the Acoustic Festival of Britain at Uttoxeter racecourse every June. we'd end up with about 50 people taking lessons throughout the weekend then do 3 or 4 numbers in a set on the main stage on the Sunday. Many of the people had never picked up a Uke, or anyother instrument before and I don't know of any other instrument that could be done with, apart from drums of course.

Look forward to seeing the finished guitalele.

Geoff

Ukuleles, ukulele festivals, weekly gigs, Men's Shed - it could all be the other side of the world, this side. At the Rolleston Shed we had one member make an electric guitar. There was a session run last year making solid body electric ukuleles (8 of us including one from Nova Scotia) run by someone from the other end of the country. The weekly ukulele sessions are now run on Zoom.

Weekend ukulele "festivals", usually 3 a year in the South Island plus a folk festival at Easter. All except the ukulele one we had at the beginning of February are cancelled this year.

Small world.

We're all locked-down though what I use as a flying field, the local park, is two doors away and still usable. My workshop, one part of our 3 car garage, is still "open for use".