How many watts?

Ive got my old slowpoke out to see if I can improve its performance, when it was new it was pretty rapid but the esc burnt out one day and I havent managed to get it to go as well with any of the spare escs I have in my drawer.

With a 40amp esc that works in a foamy acrowot I can only get about 180 watts, The acrowot gives about 220, the acrowot weighs about a pound less than the poke so has much better performance.

Anybody got a poke that they can check the power output?

The plane is the durafly model with standard motor and 2200 3s lipo.

Thanks

Glenn

Advert

Took my Durafly Slowpoke into the garden and connected it up to a wattmeter.

On standard motor, as supplied Aerostar 40A ESC but with a 12x8 APCE prop (not the black/yellow item it came with) I got 250 watts. Even with 250 watts the performance is somewhat sedate.

I suspect the motor may need replacing.

Hobbyking say the motor is a 3648 700 KV and this was confirmed by measuring the motor in my model.

If you want to replace the motor I suggest something like the 4-MAX PO-3547-960. Dimensions look almost identical so it should be a straight swap and give a LOT more power, you will need a 50 Amp ESC on a 12x8.

I did a similar transplant in my Riot using a 4-MAX 3541 motor and the transformation was amazing, unlimited verticals on a fresh battery but of course reduced flight times if you use all the power. The original Riot motor pulled 27 amps WOT stationary, the 4-Max motor pulls 37 Amps with a commensurate increase in static thrust and yes, I did fit a 50Amp ESC.

IMO a 700kv motor needs a 4s battery for a model like that. If necessary reduce the prop size to keep the current within the motor & ESC's limits.

PS you did re-calibrate the ESC when you replaced it, didn't you ? 

Edited By PatMc on 10/04/2020 12:06:12

Posted by Glenn Stevenson on 10/04/2020 08:15:21:

Ive got my old slowpoke out to see if I can improve its performance, when it was new it was pretty rapid but the esc burnt out one day and I havent managed to get it to go as well with any of the spare escs I have in my drawer.

With a 40amp esc that works in a foamy acrowot I can only get about 180 watts, The acrowot gives about 220, the acrowot weighs about a pound less than the poke so has much better performance.

Anybody got a poke that they can check the power output?

The plane is the durafly model with standard motor and 2200 3s lipo.

Thanks

Glenn

A couple of thoughts...

Have you retrained the ESC to the throttle channel and checked that the throttle channel is set to 100% on the Slowpoke transmitter programming? An ESC shouldn't limit the available power at 100% because it's a different rating (unless it's being operated above its rated power, when it won't last very long!)

Are you using the same battery in the Acrowot? The process of burning out the original ESC could have damaged the battery if it's a different one.