Source of connectors, 5 & 8 pin.

My lock-down build of an "Inside F5J" kit has been going well, but is now stalled for the lack of some connectors.

Ideally, I'd like an 8 pin Multiplex plug/socket for attaching to the fus (it's a six servo wing) and Multiplex 5 pin (or 4..) for the outer wing panels.

At the moment, I am considering the use of a 3S battery balance connector and a 6 pin MPX connector + a JST 2 pin power connector for the fus connection.

Does any know of a source for the MPX 8 & 5 pin connectors that can supply?

Edited By David Hall 9 on 21/04/2020 12:39:48

Advert

Posted by MaxG on 21/04/2020 13:45:58:

Have you tried **LINK** or **LINK** .

Alternatively 4Max do multi way connectors now. Alternatively what about 9 pin D sockets.

Maxg

Thanks for the links.... wow, Multiplex-rc.co.uk, i had no idea. They didn't pop up on my searches. You would think that would be exactly the one... they do the 5 pin socket, but not the plug, as far as I can see, and no 8 pin. The other links to a shop which, like others pops up on my searches because they have the usual 6 pin connectors.

But... Nexus models have the 8 pin and are "open" on-line.

I have been thinking of the 9 pin D type, that would be a working solution..

I can use the MPX 6 pin for the wing panel connections, the 4 pin JST connector (lipo balance) will be a better fit, if it is reliable... I've never had a problem with the battery balance connectors I use, other than the time I flashed the pins off.

IMHO and only from my experience I don't think the current carrying capacity of the D type connectors are suitable for servos. The wires are quite fiddley to solder on to the pins + if one wire was to come off it could take multiple servos down or brown the RX out - best fix I have see is to seal them with resin.

I though balance leads were a good alternative to the above and a club mentioned they had had problems, anyway I continued to use them for a few months in various models until I found one plug/socket combination that was intermittent power supply to the RX.

Best use MPX or similar, don't forget you can always use a male and female on each wing with a couple of coloured heat shrink bands to denote port/starboard.

Thanks for your suggestions.... Looking at the connectors I have to hand, the MPX 6pin looks to be superior to the JST for this purpose. With a little enlargement of the hole, I could use them for the wing outer to centre join.

I can leave the main wing to fus connection until later, so a MPX 8 pin or a 9 D type could be used. I recall seeing that many of the CF moulded F5J gliders use this connector in the wings, so I don't have any worries about overrunning the current spec when on this particular model.

This allows me to continue the build for the time being.

Posted by Chris Walby on 21/04/2020 15:19:22:

Best use MPX or similar, don't forget you can always use a male and female on each wing with a couple of coloured heat shrink bands to denote port/starboard.

Where I have done this I had a male Mpx on one panel and a female Mpx on the other panel. In this way you cannot connect the wrong wing to the Rx harness if you see what I mean.

Maxg

If you go to CPC/Farnell you will find 3 to 12 way sockets which are identical to JR/Hitech ones with the pins to match. You do of course need a proper crimping tool for them, also PCB type headers since they do not appear to stock the male counterparts the last time I looked. I have quite a few models with two ailerons, two flaps, two retract units and lights and use these on all of them. No use to attach glider wind tips though. In the above I use one ten and one twelve way so that they cannot be mixed up.

If you look up some of my build blogs you will see how I install them (Mustang, 72" Spit, Lanc., Mosquito, Tucano etc.).

I use RS Components for the same kind of sockets as Martin McIntosh has mentioned -- they come in single or double row. I use standard PCB header pins for the other half of the connection. I usually make up a PCB for them so I can mount them in the fuselage, but you could also use Vero board or similar.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 21/04/2020 17:50:27:

If you go to CPC/Farnell you will find 3 to 12 way sockets which are identical to JR/Hitech ones with the pins to match. You do of course need a proper crimping tool for them, also PCB type headers since they do not appear to stock the male counterparts the last time I looked. I have quite a few models with two ailerons, two flaps, two retract units and lights and use these on all of them. No use to attach glider wind tips though. In the above I use one ten and one twelve way so that they cannot be mixed up.

If you look up some of my build blogs you will see how I install them (Mustang, 72" Spit, Lanc., Mosquito, Tucano etc.).

I have used these too, however it is possible to connect them wrong way round as there is no polarisation. For safety's sake I filled one of the socket holes with epoxy and left the corresponding pin out so they had to be connected the right way round

Alan and Andy, glad to see that others have discovered these too. I also use Vero board with mine, it makes connecting up a wing very simple. I just go by the way round I have standardised on for the connectors and double check with the wiring colours. They also mean that you do not need to mess with safety clips on the leads.

Hi David,

nice to see someone else on the forum building an Inside F5J. Please feel free to add any useful experiences to the Inside F5J thread.

This is how I've done the wing panel connectors in my Inside F5J, with some connectors from CPC that look very similar to balance connectors. I've also put an example of the connector buried in the central wing panel in the photo so you can se what it looks like.

The nice things about this setup are that socket connector is the right size to glue straight into slot in the central wing panel rib. Also the flying lead connector (coming out of the orange panel) is crimped, which I think should be more robust than soldering (am I right anyone?). The down side is that I think it might be a bit fiddly to take out (think cold fingers on a snowy Dartmoor), so I may have to make a fork-type tool to grab the protrusions on the side of the plug. And of course, although I have completed inside F5J, I've not flown it yet, so this is all theorising.

I cheated on the connector between the fuselage and the wing by putting a second Rx in the wing, which reduces the number of wires needed considerably!

dscf5266.jpg