Cambrian Model Company's Answer build.

I was browsing the Cambrian Model Company site, looking for the model my mate Johnny is building, and I saw this one.

I already have two plans, this one and a larger version, but this will save the hassle of cutting out parts.

The Owner of the company only lives a stones throw from me as it turns out, so a swift phone call later, all paid up, round I went to grab it.

All social distancing rules were observed by both parties, before you cry out in alarm.

The kit is extremely well put together and packaged, there are snakes and hardware included, the undercarriage is in there too, pre-bent with wheels as well.....Bonus.

I am going to make it electric as usual.

D.D.

img_20200428_164611.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 28/04/2020 17:59:53

Perusal of the plan this evening revealed that the wing is an under cambered affair, This should make things interesting. I would seem a bit of hot water and wing bending, over rib templates is called for.......I hope I don't end up in "hot water". LOL....You see what I did there ?? Hot water......no.....??

D.D.

• 3 months later...

I built one of these a couple of years ago for single channel and I can report it flies very nicely. Don't worry too much about getting into hot water with the under camber Dwain, I just chucked my wings in a hot bath for 15mins or so and they bent around the formers quite easily. It's a bit weird but it works.

Mike

img_1095small.jpg

My Cambrian Answer has seen a lot of airtime over the last few years, and still remains one of my 'go to' models on a calm day. It flies beautifully on a hint of power, but doesn't glide all that well compared to other models.

The only real mod I made was to ditch the supplied (heavy) snakes, and use closed loop on the rudder, and a lightweight snake on the elevator.

It's covered in tissue over mylar, and has a little outrunner up front, with a 2S 1300 lipo under the motor.

The tiny rudder makes ground handling a bit of a challenge, so I normally handlaunch.

The dummy diesel has fooled more than one!

Tim

img_0949.jpg

img_0743.jpg

img_0964.jpg

Edited By Tim Hooper on 29/08/2020 23:50:53

• 2 months later...

Well those few months went by quickly.!!

Some good looking Answer action there boys, sorry I haven't posted but I have been sorting out a health issue.

All the talk about the super scorpion, reminded me of the plans I have of the Scorpion, which when you look at it is almost a replica of the Answer.

So with renewed vigour, (plus I am getting used to the tablets crook) I attacked the Cambrian Answer.

Below you can see a couple of hours work. The trouble is these sort of kits go together too quickly once you get going. LOL

Two sides and the fin/rudder scoped out to do after tea.

D.D.

img_20201118_164957.jpg

img_20201118_165016.jpg

The rib sheet, not the usual style.

img_20201118_165053.jpg

Looks good Dwain!

Stay with it - the Answer is a beautiful model that flies as well as it looks! The 'Ritz' is quite a talking point.

By chance I've stumbled across a 50" variant on the Outerzone plans site, which looks ideal for the (Indian) Mills 1.3 diesel that I've recently bought.

I also still posses the Super Scorpion that I built from plans over 15 years ago. This one's electric.

Tim

Hi Nick, John, and Tim.

I have done a bit more today, not as much as I thought, but defo a bit of progress.

I made the motor mount out of thick balsa and ply laminated together. I allowed for the cowl pieces that have to go on later.

I mocked it up by laying the motor on the completed side, on the plan, then measured the gap.

I have glued up the ply bulk heads on the fuselage RHS , after sewing the under carriage on to former 2.

The next job will be to join the two sides.

D.D.

I ordered this lot from 4Max and S.M.Centre last night, and they came this AM. How good is that. laugh

img_20201119_115353.jpg

The Motor mount, you cant see it but I drilled a hole for the shaft and marked the X mount holes.

img_20201119_150850.jpg

These batteries double up as weights and 90* braces.

img_20201119_150907.jpg

The motor and 30A ESC. This will give me about 180 W on 3s but I think I may use 2s. I will check this later.

img_20201119_151038.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 19/11/2020 16:13:20

Thanks McG, I've had this one for a while just needed some inspiration to start, which you Guys have provided.

I don't intend to use all of that power Tim, 2 cells will be less, just that the combo of motor and ESC is quite easy on the wallet, and will work well with other models of this ilk.

Below are two options for the battery position, under the cowl will involve more work. I may even forgo the cabin Glass to make things easier. Got a few ideas bubbling round the old Noodle. indecisionnerd

D.D.

pic I couldn't get on before, clamps on.

img_20201119_175620.jpg

Position 1.

img_20201119_211558.jpg

Position 2. That's the 2 s, I do have some 3s 800's, that are half as long.

img_20201119_211735.jpg

I think I will use the the 2 cell 1000 Mah battery, as this provides 60W @ 8A, the little 3 cell 800Mah provides a healthy 110W @ 12A . These figures relate to a 10 X 7 prop which is recommended for the motor by 4 Max.

It all depends on the hatch situation, I have limited my options with my motor mount, but these things have a way of evolving out. I may make a slightly taller front end.

I have made the servo tray, cutting down the supplied one. I had to widen and fill the holes to make it work.

I added rails to facilitate the gluing into the fuselage.

I have added the top cabin rails, they are spruce and they are drying as we speak.

Next job is the nose/hatch/battery housing.

D.D.

This is how I test motor/battery/prop combo's, using my trusty Wattmeter.

img_20201120_120223.jpg

Servo tray.

img_20201120_120248.jpg

Top rails.

img_20201120_124605.jpg

Edited By Dwain Dibley. on 20/11/2020 14:26:27

That's one way of testing an electric power train (I usually do it in the model) but I'd feel safer with the prop facing the other way. One of the advantages of electric power is the ability of testing in the warm, cosy workshop - the disadvatage is trying to recover all the bits of paperwork that blow away

Looking good, Dwain. Right up with your usual standards. I hope we all get good enough weather and the relaxed freedom we need to fly vintage style (and other!) models next spring.

Geoff

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 20/11/2020 15:04:56:

I suppose I could put it in the vice the other way round Geoff, but as you say, it's a case of minimal hurricane damage.

I am looking forward to spending days up at the field with a selection of old timers, and some vintage models too. LOL

D.D.

Lol, keep smiling Dwain. wink

I do me best John. cheeky

I'm afraid I scuppered that option Tim, when I made my motor mount, but it's a good solution mate.

I can still fit it there from the top and put the ESC under the hatch, a few options really.

Here's mine, bear in mind it all has to be sanded to shape yet.

I always line the hatch contact points with ply, to take the magnets.

D.D.

img_20201120_231313.jpg

img_20201120_231344.jpg

img_20201120_231457.jpg

Got a bit more done today, shaping the hatch and getting the magnets in.

I use magnets on the hatch and small screws in the fuselage, plus a lip of thin ply each side which locates in a slot.

Overkill really, but I have never had one come off.

Loads of places to put the battery now tho. laugh

D.D.

Marking up needs to be quite accurate.

img_20201121_160135.jpg

Shaping up.

img_20201121_160156.jpg

Magnets and screws.

img_20201121_192406.jpg