OS40FS

Ronos

Advert

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 08/05/2020 17:54:41:

Just checked and they look identical to me

Thanks Jon, do you think if I just ordered the needle rather than the whole carb, it would fit into the carb body.

• 2 months later...

I have recently revived my old OS40FS - quite old really, last times it flew was in a Radio Queen 30-35 years ago.

The poor old thing was seized solid. Anyway, after anointing with WD40 and then spending the best part of a couple of weeks immersed in stale fuel (a ziplock freezer bag does the job) the old FS cleaned up a treat and after thorough flushing and gentle then increasingly more vigorous turning over without a plug etc etc I started it in my test stand and the years of neglect fell away - easy start as per the handbook with a vigorous reverse flick, as long as you use a biggish (11"-12") prop. Still throttles well with that nice slow tickover I remember.

Now - advice please: Can I, and/or should I use my electric starter to start this lovely old four-stroker, or should I stick to the large prop':reverse flick technique? Also - the crankcase breather tube, the installation I have in mind for the OS neccessitates the use of an 8 inch length of fuel tube to drain the unburnt oil out of the airframe - seem to remember something about the breather tube length to be critical, but can't find anything in the literature. Ideas anyone? Thanks.

Edited By Doctor Chinnery on 01/08/2020 20:45:54

If the engine was gummed up with castor i recommend you strip it down and change the bearings. It might feel smooth, but its likely the balls in the bearings are still stuck and are skidding in their races. Eventually the bearings will breakup and ruin the engine.

As its only an hour job to rebuild it i strongly recommend you swap out the bearings.

Also i know its considered common practice, but never use WD40, 3in1, petrol or cellulose thinners to clean up an engine. Its not good for them.

As for the rest, electric is fine as long ass you are sure its not flooded, the backflick works too. I also would not be too worried about the breather. If OS say 8 inch is fine go for that, although truthfully thats pretty long!

Posted by john stones 1 on 01/08/2020 21:26:44:

What's wrong with WD40 please ?

Its not actually a lubricant, its a water dispersant (hence WD in the name) and its not going to do your engine any favours if its floating around the crankcase.

3in1 is acidic, petrol wont dissolve castor and will eat most of the seals in a glow engine, cellulose is for paint...not sure why folk use it for engines!

Old fuel is fine but it wont save castor clogged bearings.

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 02/08/2020 01:34:56:

ThankYou for the advice Jon - I guess it's going to be another of those "you're never too old to learn" jobs (I'm glad I'm only 78!).

No problem.

For the cost of a few quid in bearings and a little of your time its well worth it. Sure you might get away with it as is, but equally you might not. Then you end up with a mess like in the photo below.

100bearingfail6.jpg

Well, if I needed any further incentive to replace the bearings, you've provided it Jon!

As far as I can see all I require will be the front and back bearings - Model Fixings should have them in stock - I might treat myself to a decent set of metric Allen Keys from the same source while I'm at it.

Now, where do I find a step-by-step guide to to the job, ideally specific to this individual motor rather than the generic videos on YouTube? ( I suppose I could try a ouijah board or in extremis a medium to have a word with The Wizard of Oz ! ) 'Cos I don't want to turn this old favourite into an inconveniently shaped paperweight. ☹️

Jon: I keep a Kilner jar full of red diesel for un-gumming old engines, a tip I got from an old friend (an engineer by trade) years ago. He also recommended contaminated diesel - often cheaply available from garages from people who have topped up their diesel car with petrol!

Any comments on its suitability?

--

Pete

Its a pretty simple job. backplate and head off, cam cover plate off, liner out, mark position then piston/conrod out (can be a fiddle), cam shaft out (photo position first), crank out with a few hammer taps, and then its time to toast it up with a heat gun or similar to get the bearings on the move. One they are out its the same job but backwards!

Posted by Peter Christy on 03/08/2020 12:48:36:

Jon: I keep a Kilner jar full of red diesel for un-gumming old engines, a tip I got from an old friend (an engineer by trade) years ago. He also recommended contaminated diesel - often cheaply available from garages from people who have topped up their diesel car with petrol!

Any comments on its suitability?

--

Pete

As glow engines are designed for methanol anything petroleum based risks damage to seals etc. Equally, castor is not soluble in petrol/diesel so wont actually dissolve.

Posted by Foxfan on 04/08/2020 13:51:43:

So, Jon, what is a good solvent/cleaner for castor in your experience?

Cheers,]

Martin

There isnt one. Take it to bits, throw the old bearings away and replace. Flush it out as best you can with old fuel and a toothbrush if you want and then use synthetic oil after that. Alternatively, change the bearings, leave all the castor gunge inside and just keep running the engine. After a few gallons it will have flushed it all away. Just dont stop using the engine as the residual castor will gum up the works again.

There are some products that can clean up the outside of the engine, but you dont want to be squirting them inside.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 03/08/2020 12:48:50:

Its a pretty simple job. backplate and head off, cam cover plate off, liner out, mark position then piston/conrod out (can be a fiddle), cam shaft out (photo position first), crank out with a few hammer taps, and then its time to toast it up with a heat gun or similar to get the bearings on the move. One they are out its the same job but backwards!

Sounds easy if you've done it a few/dozen/hundred times but to an engineering virgin: intimidating is the term that comes to mind, 'specially if despite much marking and photographing I get the piston & liner or worse (probably) the cam shaft wrongly aligned when putting it all back together.

Shame there don't appear to be Hayes or For Dummies publications on the subject.

"Now, where do I find a step-by-step guide to to the job, ideally specific to this individual motor rather than the generic videos on YouTube"

The OS motors share a common design with only minor variations, as far as I know. It took me about 45 minutes last time I changed bearing on a OS four stroke - I think I used a video showing a 48 Surpass as a guide for a 70 Surpass.

The basic construction is common, there may be small differences but the method of aligning the cam and getting the piston/conrod out is common (I think).

Anyway. Dave MacIntyre's channel has lots on OS four strokes...

40 Surpass being part disassembled (head removed):

**LINK**

40 Surpass, with the liner and cam out

**LINK**

pt2 of the above, annoyingly does not show piston removal

**LINK**

One showing piston pin removal

**LINK**

40 Surpass reassembly including popping in new bearings:

**LINK**

An older video, bit jerky, on a 52FS, a full disassembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_HrTCCO-GY