Mooonraker Nostalgia

Well something good came out of COVID mayhem.. I restarted RC modelling after a long long time. I am hoping that I will a couple of planes to fly after the mayhem ends.

I have some experience in model building but a new be in RC flying.. I just joined the site recently and subscribed to RCM&E..

With COVID lockdown, I reorganised my hobby room and ordered some materials on line. I bought the tiny flier and simple cub from Flitetest and built them.

In the clean up process I rummaged through the attic and found a surprise. A Moonraker kit in a box from 1995 (From Howard Metcallfe Models), which I totally forgot about..

I decide to build it with an electric motor conversion.. I looked at the internet and could not find much about it. It seems that HMM is not trading anymore.

Does anyone have any information/photos or any experience with this vintage kit plane? I will appreciate any information. Thanks in advance..laugh

Advert

Here's mine. Unfortunately it met its demise a long time ago. moonraker.jpg

I think it was powered with an Irvine Q40. As I recall it flew very well until I dumb-thumbed it. As I recall it made a very loud noise at it hit the ground.

The main problem was glueing to the plastic fuselage. IIRC Stabilit Express was the recommended adhesive.

Geoff

Thank you for all the photos and advice. I did not expect such quick responses..

I am struggling with the glue issue. I ordered Stablit Express a month ago from Germany but have not received it. Some sites are suggesting the pipe cement (goo). I am experimenting with this pipe cement combined with very thin fiberglass cloth. I will then try epoxy glue on to it. I will fix the front bulkhead (firewall) with small screws too for extra security. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative glues?

20200510_184233.jpg

Here’s the fuselage with the balsa tail temporarily mounted on it

For the electric conversion, I went for an Overlander Thumper V3 3536/05 (440W) motor even though I also have an Overlander Thumper 542/05 (710W- I thought that this is too powerful for my experience level). I am planning to use a 40A Skywalker ESC.

20200510_185857.jpg

I shaved off the arms of the petrol engine mount (black plastic). I use the remaining base for fixing the front undercarriage wire and to align the new electric motor mount (3mm ply) with spacers / stand offs. In the picture it is with the nylon spacers but the alternative aluminium ones are on the floor too. I will decide which to use depending on balancing/CG. The drive shaft of the motor is sticking back I did not shave this off as there is space behind it. I also need to have the motor as far front as practical so that I can use the cowling sensibly. The motor wires and connectors are fed through the holes in the firewall and the bulkhead

Motor mounting

New electric motor mounted onto the bulkhead and motor mount
(front undercarriage wire in place).

Continued from the previous posting...............

20200510_170706.jpg

Cowling (not glued yet).
I may have to cut the nose section to enable the propeller to fit and allow the outrunner to rotate.

20200510_155543.jpg

From top left: Cockpit wing dowel holding plate; the servo tray front and rear undercarriage fairings; 400W Overlander Thumper 3536 motor; (Second row from left) wing bolt holder , bulkhead and remainder shaved motor holder; aluminium spacers with the mounting bolts; snake holders (for supporting the snakes in the fuselage); two new engine mounts at the bottom

20200509_152442.jpg

Wings are dressed up.

I did not go for full ailerons and I move the 2 wing mounted servos rather than the centrally operated single servo and torque rod provided (I hope that the grey filler does not show under the monokote covering?).. Drilled servo cable access holes.

The tail has been completed using the balsa cuts provided- inserted a 3mm by 1 mm carbon strip into the fin for rigidity. I also attempted one built from 5mm hobby store foamboard with carbon rod reinforcements and monokote covering (on the right). I opted for the balsa one because it seemed a bit weak and prone to damage.

Undercarriage

I opted for larger 65mm foam wheels instead of the rubber 55 mm ones that are provided. Here are the undercarriage (UC) parts. However I am a bit concerned about the position of the UC just behind the CG. I thought about making it a tail dagger by moving it ahead of the CG. This may however spoil the looks of this bird. I think by playing with the battery weight (3S 2200KV to 3S 5000KV) I can retain the original tricycle arrangement. Does anyone have any views?

Using 2 x RS-MS125-MG Mini 17g Analog Metal Gear Servos (Mounted on the tray; 3kg torque at 5v) for rudder and elevator and 2 x ET2016 Etronix 17G 3.5kg/0.11s Micro Digital Servo Metal Gear servos for the ailerons (mounted on the wing)

Posted by Nigel R on 09/05/2020 19:41:08:

Metcalfe were localish to us. Popular kits at the club I was in. Moonraker was the sleek high wing job if I remember right? Probably need a 25 glow or a 400w electric setup?

Thank you.. I opted for a 400W brushless electric motor.

Posted by Geoff S on 09/05/2020 21:05:29:

Here's mine. Unfortunately it met its demise a long time ago. moonraker.jpg

I think it was powered with an Irvine Q40. As I recall it flew very well until I dumb-thumbed it. As I recall it made a very loud noise at it hit the ground.

The main problem was glueing to the plastic fuselage. IIRC Stabilit Express was the recommended adhesive.

Geoff

Thank you Geoff..Great photos.. They will be useful.

• 1 month later...

I used to have a Moonraker. It was given to me by an old club mate when i was about 13.

I powered it originally with an OS 35fp and then an ASP36. Both were more than enough and it was a brilliant model. In fact i consider it the best trainer ever made as it was very strong and could be made to fly sedately while still being totally aerobatic. It would also bite in extreme cases making it a good trainer.

Shame they dont make them any more

• Like 1

I need to expand he cowling to give sufficient clearance for the motor., hence the blue ribbon. I also moved the aileron servos onto the wing. Used carbon rod linkages.

20200606_191710.jpg

I am using a 40 A ESC even though 30A will be ok with a 400 watt motor. I am mounting the ESC below the front windscreen with a balsa pad and velcro hoping that that will give sufficient isolation from the heat generated by the ESC. I will do a bench test to see how much heat is generated.

I have to use a 5000mah LIPO to get the CG rather than adding dead weight. I will post more soon.

Laser gauge was useful in aligning the wing.

20200610_204226.jpg

Edited By Murat Kece 1 on 23/06/2020 11:44:35

Edited By Murat Kece 1 on 23/06/2020 11:45:18

Edited By Murat Kece 1 on 23/06/2020 11:47:16

I have an extensive collection of modelling and full size aviation videos, all now on DVD, going back almost 40 years and I'm sure I've got a video of one of the Sandown Shows around the early 90s that has Howard Metcalf talking about his models including 'Moonraker'. I'll dig it out and try to put it on YouTube when I get a moment.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/06/2020 13:12:58

Posted by Cuban8 on 23/06/2020 13:11:54:

I have an extensive collection of modelling and full size aviation videos, all now on DVD, going back almost 40 years and I'm sure I've got a video of one of the Sandown Shows around the early 90s that has Howard Metcalf talking about his models including 'Moonraker'. I'll dig it out and try to put it on YouTube when I get a moment.

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/06/2020 13:12:58

"Cuban8" sure many will greatly appreciatte that! I bought my HMM Ta-152H after reading the RCM&E review. A magazine I still keep!

"Murat" I think you have mixed comments!

It was me who wrote about an issue of RCM&E and a review, but it was for HMM Focke Wulf ta-152H, not the Moonraker.

Then "Cuban8" explained ha has a video with Mr Metcalfe talking about his models at a R/C hobby show.

If you are interested in the HMM Moonraker review you have to look for RCM&E May 1989 issue. Unfortunately I am of no help here as I do not own that issue, but sure you may found it at Ebay.co.uk or at Magazine Exchange.