Blackhorse ARTF ????

Advert

No, Black Horse is still alive and producing kits but they increased prices some 3-4 years ago after revising all their models to electric power with great top access cover and detachable wings and they were defeated by "brother" firms like Phoenix Models and, mainly, Seagull Models.

Local hobby shops not stocking is a different matter and a problem all over Europe -and perhaps the entire world-, as as distributors keep the stocks and nowadays shipping is so fast, why they should stock if the model may be received just the next day or even ask the distributor to send it direct to the customer?

You say Black Horse Models are alive .Mmmm I have tried every where to find the Black Horse Wilga but every where it is "Out Of Stock " has all the Black Horse Kits are.As I said I have noticed a lot of the main hobby shop are longer showing Black Horse model .Something is not right with Black Horse and it has been like this way before the Lock Down in China ???? I suspect Black Horse are no more crying. I was told that Motion RC where selling Black Horse Kits but Motion RC Europe have no mention of Black Horse Kits

All models, even things like radios, are all out of stock. As there are no shows this year, shops closed it makes no sense for shops to have stuff sitting on the shelf.
Also, as said, price increases, bad weather in UK, drone laws and Covid 19 has compounded a perfect storm.

Thanks Bob .Just check out 1001 Models and they want over £700 for it .Contacted Sussex Models and they will do one for £623 and they where due to have a delivery from Black Horse in July .Mind you they did say with the corona virus and lock down it might be a bit longer but they are due in at some point .Thanks very much Bob for helping me out it was good of you

Even before coronavirus I got the impression that there has been . a considerable 'contraction' of the market in the UK. And Ripmax, the Black Horse importer, has been very much a part of it, such as the closure of the HobbyStores shops. I saw that coming, I was a frequent customer of the Southampton one and often was the only customer in it, even if I was 'browsing' and buying odds and ends for half an hour or more.

I rarely buy ARTFs, only the occasional scale model I quite like but not enough to built it myself.

The only Black Horse one I have is the 90mm EDF ViperJet. I was NOT impressed by the quaility. Intake ducting so small it instantly collapsed when I applied full power, the holes in the glass/epoxy horns far too big for the supplied kwiklinks, a supposedly 'carbon' tube wing joiner that would not have withstood the G force of the first gentle turn, and the forward battery location on the plan and required to clear the supplied intake ducting, resulted in a C of G about three inches further forward than the plan indicated.

Then there is the price. It was £350 then, which I thought was a bit much for what is basically a bare, but covered airframe, not even any retracts, which are essential. And a fan unit would have nice, even without a motor. The plane has increased to about £500 now.

It's no just the Viperjet. The basic balsa/ply structure is well made but why the ludicrously small wheels on fighters with retracts? And the 'pinched' nose on the Spitfire to match up with the far too small spinner? It wouldn't cost Black Horse any more to do such things correctly and their present errors must turn people away.