From DX8 to DX8 G2 or DX9

Steve Colman

I'm currently using a DX8 and for the most part it has served me well for about 7 years.

My fllying tastes have slowly gravitated towards powered gliding in general and specifically F5J type models and think now might be the time to upgrade my DX8. After witnessing some friends flying with TX's with audible alerts and varios, I've realised how useful these are when flying. Having invested in a number of Spektrum RX's over the years I wish to stay with the system which makes the DX8 G2 and the DX9 prime contenders.

So my question is which one? Looking at the specs there isn't a great deal between them although the DX9 does have a couple of options that the DX8 G2 doesn't have and it's glider programming seems to be a little better thought out.

But, and here's the rub. I can get a DX9 + the basic 6 channel AR610 Rx for 399 euros. Or the DX8 G2 + AR80102T Rx for 379 euros. Given that the AR8010T Rx is around 100 euros to buy itself I think this is a good deal, saving 120 euros against buying the DX9 + AR8010T.

Would be very interested to hear your combined knowledge.

If I can be convinced that the outlay for the DX9 + AR8010T is indeed worth the extra dosh then that may be the path I'll follow.

Thanks, Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 03/06/2020 21:22:18

Advert

Hi, I don't glide (too fat! actually nowhere to fly and like powered FW), but have DX8 gen 1 and DX8 gen 2 for about 6 years in total.

I don't have and have never used a DX 9, but I think I would go for a DX9 gen 2, why:

• The DX8 gen 1 and DX gen 2 model files are not transferrable, so you have to reprogram all of your models back in.
  • The DX8 always seems a little bit of the poor relation compared with the DX9 in both the gen 1 and less so for the gen 2 versions.
  • The DX9 gen 2 has more functionality and I think would be better long term
  • As mentioned the AT8010T is a bit of a brick

Thanks to your replies gents.

I think I'll go for the DX9 despite the extra cost. As well as the few extras over the DX8G2 like the rear sliders the switch layout is identical to my DX8 which is a plus. Besides, If I went for the DX8G2 I would probably always feel like I've opted for second best just to save a bit of cash and would perhaps rue the decision afterwards.

Thanks again.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...