Just Engines geared starter

Nigel R

I've had a rather klutzy moment and dropped my old sullivan on the cone. The shaft is bent, it sounds upset, and I doubt it will remain happy for long, and Sullivan don't seem to list any spares these days.

Is the Just Engines geared starter any good? Anyone have one?

They seem reasonably priced. And presumably are a bit lighter than the old standard starter as they are geared?

Advert

I have the 6:1 version myself and use the 3:1 version here at work. Both work really well but they do work differently.

The smaller one is better for smaller engines that typically need a higher rpm to get them going. The big one turns quite slowly, even at 24v, so its better suited to big engines that idle slower. Its also got the big beefy cone which is great for big warbird spinners.

I operate both off of a 6s lipo and while i have issues with my own starter welding the switch on from time to time the new one i have here at work does not seem to do it. I might upgrade mine with a high current switch but cant be bothered at the moment.

Both will start large engines without any trouble but personally i like the 6:1 version better as its more suited to the engines i fly regularly and its just got unstoppable power. The smaller version on 6s is a bit of an animal as it spins really fast and can easily give your wrist a tweak if you arent expecting it.

The only word of caution i would offer is to make sure you disconnect the battery before you attempt to turn the cone round. If you have your pinky in the hole trying to get the rubber cone out and accidentally bump the switch you will be off to A&E so they can put your finger back on straight.

Posted by Martin Harris on 09/06/2020 22:19:11:

I always pull mine out from the front - takes a bit of wobbling to get it started but I hadn't noticed the hole - or did you mean the one in the rubber? Probably just as well with my record with rotating machinery!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/06/2020 22:20:33

Yea i meant the hole in the rubber. Even the big cone is reversible with two sizes on it.