Strange problem

I recently fitted a Thumper 3536/08 and a XP2 40A and a 3S Overlander 2200Mah lipo All new into a model, I used a Microzone MC6C Tx with its dedicated Rx.

When the servos are fitted if you use the servos the motor starts and runs constantly. The lead from Esc is in channel 3,servos are rudder/elevator in correct slots for use on same stick.

if I remove and put in my Mini super using a 2836/08 motor and a XP2 20A With a 2s 2200Mah Overlander with same Microzone Tx Rx it all works fine?

why and what is Happening ?
I’m now going to use a Spektrum_Transmitter with the first model With Spektrum Rx. I have purchased a programme card for the XP2 so I know it’s in the correct settings.Also have the Bluetooth connector and the app.
Thanks

i

Advert

"When the servos are fitted if you use the servos the motor starts and runs constantly."

At full power? Or just spinning over at low power?

My first guess would be, the throttle needs calibrating - this procedure should be detailed in the XP2 manual.

Motor just sparks into life when servos start to move, if you don’t connect servos,motor will run ok on its own.
I don’t think it’s set up properly. Hence the programme card.
I was thinking the Tx /Rx wasn’t compatible with the set up as it’s a Budget one but works ok in the other Aircraft.So I’ll just use in the trainer.Was just worried that it may interfere with someone else’s gear,but as it’s running on a basic protocol no one at the club has such a basic TX 😂

Posted by Peter Millward 1 on 10/06/2020 19:17:31:

No the servos either lock up or move without any imput from Tx

I had an ESC with BEC on which the output collapsed when the three servos connected were moved (or twitched). It caused the BEC output to shut off then restart. This made the servos twitch around continuously once they were started off.

I suspect that your ESC/BEC is faulty. You could confirm by powering from some other source (the second ESC) with the red power lead from the suspect BEC disconnected... Or try one servo, then two etc.... it looks like it could be a power brownout thing....     You don't need the motor to be connected to test this.  

Edited By David Hall 9 on 10/06/2020 19:38:02

Posted by paul d on 10/06/2020 16:36:59:

Totally unhelpful and tongue in cheek but it would never happen with a glow or diesel!...sorry couldn't resist..wink

Nah! Seeing what happens down at the field, you're right it wouldn't happen with a glow or diesel. Usually they just don't run at all.laugh

Make sure your transmitter trim is full y down,make sure the end point adjustment is 100%.The throttle position needs to be normal,not reversed.Hope fully this will work,to program it set the throttle to high the connect to the battery,you will hear a series of beeps.But for gods sake take the prop off.

Posted by Andy48 on 10/06/2020 19:43:51:

Totally unhelpful and tongue in cheek but it would never happen with a glow or diesel!...sorry couldn't resist..wink

Nah! Seeing what happens down at the field, you're right it wouldn't happen with a glow or diesel. Usually they just don't run at all.laugh

Please, please, PLEASE don't let this thread turn into an electric vs IC battle!

Tim.

Posted by Tim Kearsley on 10/06/2020 20:01:15:
Posted by Andy48 on 10/06/2020 19:43:51:

Please, please, PLEASE don't let this thread turn into an electric vs IC battle!

Tim.

Of course not Tim, only my attempt at a little humour, no offence intended...apologies...

Posted by Peter Millward 1 on 10/06/2020 16:27:44:

I recently fitted a Thumper 3536/08 and a XP2 40A and a 3S Overlander 2200Mah lipo All new into a model, I used a Microzone MC6C Tx with its dedicated Rx.

When the servos are fitted if you use the servos the motor starts and runs constantly. The lead from Esc is in channel 3,servos are rudder/elevator in correct slots for use on same stick.

if I remove and put in my Mini super using a 2836/08 motor and a XP2 20A With a 2s 2200Mah Overlander with same Microzone Tx Rx it all works fine?

why and what is Happening ?
I’m now going to use a Spektrum_Transmitter with the first model With Spektrum Rx. I have purchased a programme card for the XP2 so I know it’s in the correct settings.Also have the Bluetooth connector and the app.
Thanks

i

Posted by Peter Millward 1 on 10/06/2020 22:01:04:

Thumper 3536/08 and a XP2 40A and a 3S Overlander 2200Mah lipo
I presume all these should work together.

They "should" be fine together... as you have made no attempt to (deliberately) run or load the motor. So it is a case of the BEC powering the Rx/servo set.

Sadly, there are instances of defective parts, new or not, that can catch you out... A little more of my education came when testing a few cheap receivers on the bench... A cheap "no name" ESC to power the Rx and 1,2 or 3 servos fitted. The power "glitches" or failing BEC was only seen on one of the two receivers in combination with one ESC. Bearing in mind that if this was a load issue, I could expect a very much worse case when in flight. I concluded that it was probably a noisy/poor BEC in combination with a cheap receiver with poor supply noise immunity. Rather than sort out working combinations, I binned the lot. I suggest that you apply a similar approach and bin the ESC, or at least bag it, marked suspect. Save yourself one or more models.

Peter, As David says the ESC is probably faulty. Swap it out with another ESC and if that solves the problem send it back to the supplier as faulty, if you bought it in the UK. These ESC's are made in their thousands if not tens of thousands and the reality is that you will occasionally get a dud, it only takes one dry solder joint.

I just wondered what brand of servo you are using? I am not an 'electronics man' but I wondered if one of the servos was faulty, drawing high current and causing the BEC to brown out? Presumably you have already put the servos on a servo tester to check that they are all operating normally? 

As an observation your Tx/Rx are very inexpensive (if this is it) so I wondered if there was a compatibility issues with things like servos and ESCs using this kit?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 11/06/2020 08:31:09

The Tx RX work with a Smaller Thumper and an XP2 20A in my Mini Super fine no problems The servos in the Super are Mini budget ones!
The servos in the problem Aircraft are 3003’s and are new and work fine with a slave Battery.

I have a DXe which is going to be used in the problem Aircraft with Spektrum Rx. So will test with this kit.Im waiting for a programme card to make sure the parameters are set ok before returning to supplier which is Steve Webb Models. servo shop,so shouldn’t be a problem.

The question is why does the motor start running, if the receiver has lost the power supply due the BEC falling over then there will be no signal to the ESC so the motor should stop. Or does the receiver do something funny when it gets low voltage, i.e some sort of throttle failsafe ?

One other thing to check is that you haven't got a faulty servo, we had this on one model, when we plugged the flight battery in the ESC the Rx blinked into life and then stopped, tried a dedicated RX battery with ESC unplugged and Rx and servos worked fine. But a different ESC and we had the same problem, turned out one servo was faulty and drawing more current than the ESC BEC could supply, changed out the servo and model flew fine on the original ESC.