Posted by PatMc on 30/07/2020 00:36:41:
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 29/07/2020 15:45:34:
Posted by Tosh McCaber on 29/07/2020 15:05:44:

I like that combo, Shaun. Where did you buy it? And we've had so many motors discussed now, that I have to ask you what's your motor??

Hi Tosh

I presume that you are talking about the prop/spinner?

It's an Aero-Naut Coolnose 45mm spinner with 47mm yoke and 10x6 CamCarbon prop blades.

Hi Shaun, is the prop dia still 10" when fitted to the 47mm yoke ?

Hi Tosh

Just compared the original prop with the Coolnose/ Cam Carbon combination and the measurements are identical. Yolk on both is 47mm between blade fixing points and blades are the same length. There seemed to be plenty of power last night, vertical climbs with no problem and I think i got about 3.5 minutes on full power without dropping below 30% on a 3S 1.4 battery so the prop must unload a fair bit when in motion with a resulting reduction in current which is a relief given that the static WOT figure was 28 A through a 30A ESC.

Posted by Shaun Walsh on 29/07/2020 21:53:21:

Flew the Phoenix for the first time this evening and it went very well. The only thing I would say is that even with a 3S 1400 battery as far back on the battery tray as possible it is still a bit nose heavy, it need a lot of up elevator trim to fly level, may need to add some weight in the tail.

First time for me yesterday using 3S 2200 as far back as possible. Very nose heavy it needed fifteen clicks of up elevator for any semblance of a glide. Power on full it wanted to loop and at half power it was at least controllable. The elevator and rudder were very insensitive. The CG was very slightly forward of the markings on the wing. So I guess that for a thermal glider the CG needs moving backwards some distance. Definitely needs weight adding to the tail or a smaller battery.

Has anybody else tried a 3S 2200?

Cheers beer

Steve

Ebird, mine was the same.

The fix I used was to mount the 2200 on a strip of plastic, like a ruler, and then the battery could be slid under the wing, the strip held in place with velcro on the normal battery mount.

Not my idea but it works without ballast at the back, mine was the original version.

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 31/07/2020 09:42:19

phoenix rear servo 6.jpgphoenix rear servo 5.jpgphoenix rear servo 4.jpgI'v decided to install the original Volantex motor. I'm installing the elevator/ rudder servos in the tail, which will hopefully resolve the nose heavy problem. I'm posting some photos of the servo hole locations- work in progress. Excuse the photos being out of sequence- I don't know how to control photo downloads to the thread!

phoenix rear servo 3.jpg