build to remember

Hello all i'm new to the forum and wanted to know what you think of my idea .

Im returning back to the hobbie after years . Now im 40 and want to take on a project. when my grandfather died i recived a mills .75 that he purchased in 1957. I remember when i was a child strapping it to the garden gate and starting it up with my fathers assistance. And letting it run until the gate shook to bits. So in his memory i want to build a free flight that he used to build but with rc control. I was looking at converting a Keil Kraft Gipsy . Was thinking vintage style with a twist i understand that it will need a bit more strength. But was thinking the wing span and should be good for this size motor . What do you think?

Advert

Tomboy

Hi Martin

Something like the Vic Smeed Tomboy would be good with that engine and lightweight gear, I have a free flight one.

They were used in a duration competition so you may find later issued plans with the rc mods done but it is not hard to do.

Or have a look at other Vic Smeed designs there are some crackers out there, one of my favourites is the Miss 38.

Cheers

Nige.

Hi Martin,

The size of the KK Gypsy should be fine for the mills, but by the time you've strengthened the nose a bit to mount the engine you might find it a touch nose heavy. Just make sure you can move the radio equipment about a bit to compensate if need be.

As Jim said, go for it!

Posted by Martin Blake on 27/07/2020 11:54:24:

They all look great 👍 . Jim how does she fly ? I have one avalible thats why i was thinking this design was just worried about the weight . I May have to build them all then choose . Think it will be a toss up between Vic smeed and gipsy

The Gipsy as standard is far too lightly constructed near everywhere for a Mills point 75

And it's a bit short on wing area by the time you've added the weight of the engine plus the rc and its battery.

My Veron Cardinal pictured above and here  is a Phil Smith design and fly's well with a P75 This is a Vintage Model Works kit and comes with some alternative parts for rc use and suggestions for conversion on the plan.

One thing I did not go with was the bottom hatch for radio access as I felt this would be an area for oil to get in. RC access is in under the wing in traditional way.

Carry's two 9g servos, mini rx and standard 4 cell rx pack aloft no problem.sam_1633.jpg

Edited By J D 8 on 27/07/2020 13:05:51

Martin

The Gipsy was built three yrs. ago and still has not been flown,the model is scaled up to 58" span.

I have a thing regarding vintage models,just checked the hangar and have hanging up -------------------------

Two Veron Cardinals,a scaled down KK Falcon ( 66" ) a 72" Buzzard Bombshell and a scaled up Redskin from a Peter Holland plan,I scaled it up on a length of old wall paper and have now called it Vymura.

One of these days i may get down to the patch and give them an airing..

Gipsy was a nice easy build if I remember correctly.