Need help with a steerable retract please.

Allan Bennett

I've used electric retracts a few times, but this is the first time I've tried to set up a set with a steerable nosewheel. Without the linkage to the servo connected it goes up and down fine, though flopping around a bit while doing so. But when I connect the servo linkage it turns through about 30 degrees while starting to retract, but the clevis then jams against the retract mounting plate before it gets about 1/4 way up.

It seems to me that one improvement I should make is a different clevis, that will clamp the floppy bracket on the retract so that it can't flop around. But it also seems that the floppy bracket shouldn't be able to slide so far down the arm on which it is mounted.

2020-08-21 17.09.31.jpg

20200821_163609.jpg

So what do you guys do for a reliable steerable retract please? Or what have I done wrong in this installation?

The pivot point for the clevis pin needs to be in line with the retract trunnion. From what you describe, it appears to be a little behind, hence the pivot point moves forward when the retract folds back, skewing the steering arm. You will probably have to offset the steering arm and adjust the vertical alignment of the pivot to ensure it is centred.

OK, I'm pretty sure you're right about the position of the clevis -- in fact it seems to be below and behind the pivot point of the retract. The below bit I can probably fix by putting some kind of collets onto the 'drop arm', maybe a single turn of copper wire soldered on above and below the floppy bit, to positively locate it. The behind bit will need the drop arm bending a bit, I think. That being the case, why on earth was the unit not built that way in the first place? Oh, and what you can't see in the photo is the hole in the floppy bit that the clevis connects into is actually a slot about 1/4 long, so there's play there too.

Sounds like a pushrod guide will also help, as belt and braces. I like the idea of mixing the steering servo with the retract switch -- I'll do that.

Thanks Geoff. From your video it seems like restraining the servo pushrod so that the clevis remains at the pivot point is the real key to correct motion, all the other slacknesses being irrelevant so long as the clevis holds its place.

I'll remember to check it right way up too, PeterF. Thanks.

All of those HK nose retracts twist and were obviously designed by a none modeller who has never tried to use them.

Many earlier servo driven types used a nylon line pull-pull and had a centring spring.

I have done my Hawk quite differently and it is none too satisfactory but I shall attempt to fly it before any changes are made.

I had complicated things by cutting out a large piece of the bulkhead 'to give the servo link plenty of space'. When I removed the retract from the model I realised that, even in the 'up' position, the slot in the floppy bit was way below the trunnion pivot, which was easily sorted by turning the steering arm about 15 degrees with respect to the nosewheel. Then a simple piece of obechi (arrowed) to prevent the servo linkage dropping below that position, and it now works a treat.

20200822_173245.jpg

Thanks Chaps smiley