Looking for Help Identifying Vintage Model Planes!

Hi there! I need help identifying some model planes for a research project! Sadly, I know nothing about planes... so I thought I'd reach out to some people who do!

The photos are from a 1971 model plane show in Nova Scotia. (Sorry the pictures are so blurry, but this is all I have!)

I'm trying to figure out what kind of plane, RC, kit, or model they are. These are all from before the 70's, so I don't really expect anyone to know the exact specifications, but if these remind you anything please let me know!

Even ballpark estimates will help my research! Thanks in advance!

Plane 1:

??

Plane 2:

Seaplane?

Plane 3:

RC plane

Plane 4:

Hawker?

~~~~~

I also have a photo of this model zeppelin. I know it's not a plane, but if you also happen to know anything about what this might be let me know! Thanks again!

Zeppelin

Advert

Hi Kailyn,

A couple of those photos are going to be a challenge but ‘Plane 2’ seems familiar, and while I’ll defer to some of the very learned types on the forum here, it looks like a Kwik Fly, a design by Phil Kraft in the US. It’s an aerobatic machine, still sometimes seen and now established as a design classic.

No. 1  The biplane could be scale or semi-scale.  The engine cowling is reminiscent of the between the wars aircraft that used surplus Curtiss OX-5 engines built for the Curtiss Jenny.  A quote from 'The OX-5 Era' by Dennis Parks: "The OX-5 engine powered an amazing amount of aircraft into the U.S. market. Of all of the aircraft produced in 1927, 69% mounted OX-5s. U.S. aircraft registrations for 1929 showed 58% OX-5 powered. And of all the aircraft registered before 1940, 18% had OX-5s."

The Swallow New Swallow looks very similar in the fin shape, but doesn't have the headrest.  The Lincoln Page LP2 & LP 3 are similar too.

No. 4 is a Heath Baby Bullet. There are five plans for it on Outerzone.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 27/08/2020 00:19:35

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 27/08/2020 00:30:15

Out of curiosity I had a look at the Heath Baby Bullet drawing (it's all long before I had any interest in aeromodelling) and was amused to see in the attached article that it used radio gear manufactured by Heathkit. I think the similarity in name is a coicidence. I built a Heathkit FM tuner in about 1969 and and an electronic wind direction/anemometer kit for my then sailing club in Sutton-in-Ashfield a few years later. I suppose the RC gear was also supplied in kit form at the time of the article.

Looks an interesting model and right in my preferred era. It's tempting but not likely to be very high on my to be built list.

Geoff

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/09/2020 18:54:54:
Posted by David Davis on 01/09/2020 17:07:48:

Kailyn, I think you'll find that your "German Hawker Hurricane model" is in fact a Junkers Ju 87b commonly known as a Stuka.

**LINK**

Are you sure it's not a German Messerschmit BF109, I don't see the wings as being cranked?

Honestly I think it could be either of them. I think the wings look closer to the Junkers, though the shape of the top of the plane looks closer to the Stuka. Hmm...

Posted by Kailyn Carr on 01/09/2020 20:44:26:

Kailyn, I think you'll find that your "German Hawker Hurricane model" is in fact a Junkers Ju 87b commonly known as a Stuka.

**LINK**

Are you sure it's not a German Messerschmit BF109, I don't see the wings as being cranked?

Honestly I think it could be either of them. I think the wings look closer to the Junkers, though the shape of the top of the plane looks closer to the Stuka. Hmm...

Opps, I meant the top looks closer to the BF109, sorry.

**LINK**

Agreed, it's a '109.