JB Weld

cymaz

I’m sticking some K+S profiles to bent undercarriage wire. I have a couple of JB Weld packs handy.

I was wondering how to thin the JB down enough to get it to flow into the profile.

After some reading up, I understand that acetone will do the job. After experimenting I’ve also learned that Solarlac thinner has the same effect.

This morning I’ve mixed up some JB and thinned with Solarlac thinners, placed it on a scrap of aluminium and inserted a short length of piano wire.

After work, I will see what’s happening

Edited By cymaz on 21/09/2020 06:51:35

Talk about a timely post - thanks Cymaz.. I am just about start using JB weld to glue my 1/4 scale SE5a exhaust brackets together and was wondering the same thing...

I had considered soldering but holding all the parts together while trying to get the iron and solder in the right place seemed fraught with difficulties - now some JB weld and a heat gun to the rescue....

Thanks all

Rob

Posted by Doc Marten on 21/09/2020 10:48:03:

I stopped using JB Weld not long ago. I was recommended to use it for a minor motorbike repair to the sensor magnet for the speedo, it fell apart. I tried again fairly recently for fixing a captive nut to the end of a ply engine mount, the nut came away. I was really disappointed by it.

Hi Doc,

Very interesting post. I built an aluminium exhaust system for a glow engine that is held together entirely with JB weld. It has held firm for about 7 yrs so far and is much quieter than the 'off the shelf' ones. I have recommended JB weld to others for such purposes, although I have not used in on wood at all.

Posted by Doc Marten on 21/09/2020 10:48:03:

I stopped using JB Weld not long ago. I was recommended to use it for a minor motorbike repair to the sensor magnet for the speedo, it fell apart. I tried again fairly recently for fixing a captive nut to the end of a ply engine mount, the nut came away. I was really disappointed by it.

What prep did you do on the nut? I epoxied together aliminium once- it ended up as a strong bond but only if surface was prepared first. Without it, it was useless.

Don't thin jb weld it will change the chemical adhesion abilities to metal and weaken it a lot . Just plonk the two sealed tubes in a tub of hot water for a bit (15 min) then mix well ( as with all epoxys) and it will be quite runny more than enough to run into the metal tube. + remember to clean/ degrease the metal and abrade the surfaces to be stuck and it will stick well.

Cymaz . Why don't you use Gorilla glue to fill the profiles then top and tail the ends with some epoxy ? Mix the Gorilla glue with a tiny drop of water first and it will foam up . Insert it with a syringe, working time before it starts foaming will be about 3 to 4 Mon so get all parts ready first. That will be lighter and easier to use than JB weld and more than strong enough for the job . Abrade the U/C wire first and it will grip really well.