Which wood for where

Sebby

Up till now I have either flown ARTF, or 2nd hand planes where any repairs have necessitated like for like replacement. Now I want to build from plan where I need to order the wood based on what the plan shows me. Taking advice from this forum I note that there are many views on where soft, medium or hard balsa or birch or other wood should be located, but nothing definitive, is there such a guide anywhere, and do I need to ask the balsa supplier for specific types of balsa or other wood by ordering from where the wood it to be used, e.g spar, longer on, wing skin etc?

Hi Sebby, I second the comments above re model building. It's is a wonderful and satisfying part of this great hobby. Have a good read and perusal of the plan before you start. Some are easy to follow, some assume you are allready a competent builder and will not provide all the info. The good news is that this is the best forum available with members very willing to answer all building and related queries no matter how difficult or simple they may sound. We have all started at the same point as you. If the Internet was around when I started to build and fly, I could have doubled the twenty plus models I have built from plans lol. To fly a model you have built yourself will give you a thrill that I cannot put into words. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

This really is a minefield. Balsa can vary so much. Some shops will grade balsa for you as hard, medium or soft. SLEC comes to mind. Common sense will serve you well. For example, structural members such as wing spars should be hard, whereas pieces that don't do so much can be medium. Soft can be really soft, but is useful for non structural bits of block that need a lot of carving and sanding, such as cowlings.

ernie