Can you identify this model aeroplane?

PWLT

Hi Murat

Some photos and the drawing I have for the Diamond. I can take more photos but probably better not add them all here. The electric conversion was from a Mystery motor from eBay, 3235 with 900kv (I think) on three cell Lipo with the Aeronaut Cam prop, 12 x 8 sized. Anything that would fly a Radian Pro or similar would work perfectly.

if you want a real paper copy of the drawing I can arrange this but it will need to go to a local printers to get a decent copy.

Shaun36c3885f-943f-43d4-81ea-2df442c90941.jpeg

e8912862-318b-4fc4-ac1b-9f2e350a6565.jpeg

fb436e32-4fe1-4518-9c65-53c21c4ee0e8.jpeg

c65dd80a-805b-43c9-912a-4f99562b19d6.jpeg

Hi Shaun

Wonderful!!! Sorry for troubling you. This is really excellent. Thank you so much..

It will be great to get it its original wings rather than an adopted different design wing. Would it be possible to ge a copy of the plan either electronic pdf version or a paper copy? I can pay the costs upfront. Alternatively if you can post it to me I can get it copied/reprinted if you like a new print and send tem back to you. You can PM me to establish an email link if you prefer that?

I will adopt your electrification too.. Thank you in advance again...

Regards

• 3 years later...

Hi

I have just purchased a glider out of an estate without an any specifications. I have managed to track down a post by PatMc on a John Hall Diamond and this appears to be the glider I have purchased. Not sure that PatMc had the original specifications since it dates back to 1980, but any help would be appreciated, particularly with the COG.

Ian

Hi Ian, 

Back track a few posts to the plan picture.

The "arrow" above the wing rear joiner "tube" may be the C of g, just cannot zoom in to see clearly on this cheapo internet phone. If you have a proper computer/vdu, then you should be able to see what's written on the plan etc..

If that is the C of g, it's quite a bit "rearward".....but then again I cannot see the plan and text clearly, until I visit the library after this weekends "mayhem".

11 hours ago, IAN MCCONNELL said:

Hi

I have just purchased a glider out of an estate without an any specifications. I have managed to track down a post by PatMc on a John Hall Diamond and this appears to be the glider I have purchased. Not sure that PatMc had the original specifications since it dates back to 1980, but any help would be appreciated, particularly with the COG.

Ian

Hi Ian

The CG is 100 mm back from the Leading Edge.

image.thumb.png.15d1f7f8f9e0ab31f8e70eca1f9205de.png

I have the plans if you need any further help please PM me.

Regards. Murat

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi Ian, ...

If that is the C of g, it's quite a bit "rearward"......

Hi Rich,

I think the wing is swept back, which would explain the apparently rearward position of the CG as seen on the root rib. It’s probably around 25-30% of the mean chord.

Rog

Hi Murat

I have managed to obtain photostats of the plans from a very helpful gentleman of the Wessex Soaring Association. However, unlike yours it does not have the actual measurement. I have measured the scaled down plan and it comes close to your 100 mm, so it is great getting confirmation and the actual measurement.

Rich, I agree that it probably the swept back wings that is giving the impression of it being to far back.

Will do some glide tests in long grass before I throw it off a large hill!

Thank you everybody for your great help, it is amazing you can get detailed information from the 1980’s by simply posting in these type of forums.

Thank you all for your time and enthusiasm.

Kind regards

Ian

Hi Murat 

The plane came without a battery and I have installed a overlander 2500 mah  NIMH 124 grams in the nose in an area where the old battery was obviously sitting and the COG came out at 98mm. So I am guessing that if he was flying with a 2000 mah battery (115g) it was pretty much dead on 100mm.

So no guarantees, but 100mm seems to be correct.

Probably not be flying for a bit because of the weather but will report back on smiles or tears on its first flight.

Ian

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Su66N7q1AXI?si=iyX00NAjvqRZ17fM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>Just spotted this revived post.

It's probably over 30 years since I built the Diamond but I will have started with the cg on the sketch (No plan supplied) that came with the fuselage & wing blanks, however I know that I moved the cg back as far as I felt comfortable with over several slope side flights using the "dive test" method.

The model first flew rudder & elevator only but although it performed very well in thermal & slope comps at Primrose Valley holiday weeks the rudder response was poor. At the time I had intended using it in BARCS 100s comps  (RE only) but gave up on the idea & modified the wings for ailerons set up as spoilerons. This made a huge difference to the overall handling.

I'd be interested to know what weight other peoples Diamonds are, especially the electric powered one by @Sheepish, mine is a portly 2600g but still out-soars Alulas even in light wind conditions. 

Edited by PatMc
  • Like 1

Hi Pat

The one I have recently purchased, now including battery and receiver (Ready to Fly) weighs 2405 grams. Mine includes ailerons and spoilers, activated by a novel (to me) mechanical system operated by a servo in the fuselage. Glad to hear yours at 2600 grams can out-soar alulas in a light wind, thought mine was a bit on the heavy side.

Not sure I would have discovered the model until I saw your original photo.

Thanks

Ian