Can you identify this model aeroplane?

PWLT

Hi

Long story short - I built this model as a teenager nearly 40 years ago. It's been in various attics ever since but never flown. I now have the time to get back into RC and thought it would be fun to renovate this model and get it back into flying condition. (Yes, I know there are far easier ways but I'm still nostalgic about this model).

Whilst I'm comfortable with the practical side of making it airworthy again I can't for the life of me remember anything else about it. It's not exactly the best-looking aircraft but I guess I'm just sentimental!

So, my question is simply, what is it? Does anyone else remember this from the early 80s? I now call it "The Tug" as I seem to remember it was advertised as a tug and/or camera platform. It is approx 68" span and almost all of its construction is thin ply over foam. (Fast build at the time I guess).

Any information, a name, manufacturer and, at a stretch, any build documentation would be gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance

Regards to all.

Pete

Posted by Martin Harris on 18/10/2020 12:11:36:

How about showing us a picture of it?

Doh! I thought I had included 2 pictures but they don't appear to have been saved. I've clearly failed to understand how the forum software manages picture attachments. I'll try and find how this works now.

I call it The Tug

I call it The Tug

In the mean time, hopefully a link to Google Photos will work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JnHK9DUP7F8MfD6LA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BRa4jhhFG8A2nu3X8

Thanks again and regards to all.

Pete

Edited By PWLT on 18/10/2020 17:53:25

Posted by Peter Miller on 18/10/2020 08:28:01:

I remember the Hercules. All foam and veneer. I reviewed if for RCM&E. Not bad but a bit high on wing loading.

Many thanks Peter, I don't suppose you recall the year/month/edition of RCM&E in which your review was published do you? I'm hoping I could track down a back issue somewhere.

Fingers crossed!

Pete

Posted by david cowley on 18/10/2020 18:20:36:

Hi, I recall that the model (Hercules) was produced by Castle Models from Bolsover in Derbyshire. The designers were members of the Chesterfield club but I don’t recall their names

Good info - many thanks David!

Posted by PWLT on 18/10/2020 21:37:43:
Posted by Peter Miller on 18/10/2020 08:28:01:

I remember the Hercules. All foam and veneer. I reviewed if for RCM&E. Not bad but a bit high on wing loading.

Many thanks Peter, I don't suppose you recall the year/month/edition of RCM&E in which your review was published do you? I'm hoping I could track down a back issue somewhere.

Fingers crossed!

Pete

I have found the review but RCM&E didn't put the date on the bottom of the pages in those days.

I can scan the two pages and email them to you if you PM your email address.

I see that it carried my Konica SLR with built in motor wind camera with ease.

Just seen that the date was January 1983

Edited By Peter Miller on 19/10/2020 08:45:19

Edited By Peter Miller on 19/10/2020 08:47:59

>>I have found the review but RCM&E didn't put the date on the bottom of the pages in those days. I can scan the two pages and email them to you if you PM your email address.<<

That's amazing! Thank you very much indeed Peter, it's really good of you!

I'll PM my email to you now.

Best wishes

Peter

• 2 months later...

img_2691.jpgimg_2690.jpgcan anybody help ??

started this many many years ago and with this lock down I have decided to finish a few relics off,

This is a Tiger Moth , I think a sport one not scale , it is 57" span , plug in top wings , bottom wings havethe leading edge cut away , so "slots" onto the body, Cannot find the plan or anything like it ?? Nothing printed on the wooden bits , so may not have been a kit, so a plan maybe ??

any ideas ? sorry one photo is upsideup !!img_2689.jpg

I have been given some glider fuselages. I would like to use some of them by finding/making wings and control linkages for slope soaring. I have no clue what make/kit/design they are. Any help with identification will be much appreciated.

1) Cream 58" fuselage with 10" wing cord (Full tail elevator). Wing is top mounted.

20201113_200348.jpg

20201113_200356.jpg

2) Red 52" glider fuselage with 9" wing cord (Full tail elevator)

20201113_200957.jpg20201113_201011.jpg20201113_201410.jpg

3) A 60" white glider fuselage with 10" wing cord (Full tail elevator)

20201113_201633.jpg

20201113_201706.jpg

4) 54" glider fuselage, Brown, with 10" wing cord (Full tail elevator)

20201113_202302.jpg

20201113_202343.jpg

5) A 60" fuselage with servos and linkages built in and Vtail. Wing is top mounted.

20210115_230909.jpg

20201113_202817.jpg

20201113_202827.jpg

Posted by Murat Kece 1 on 15/01/2021 23:31:03:

I have been given some glider fuselages. I would like to use some of them by finding/making wings and control linkages for slope soaring. I have no clue what make/kit/design they are. Any help with identification will be much appreciated.

2) Red 52" glider fuselage with 9" wing cord (Full tail elevator)

20201113_200957.jpg20201113_201011.jpg20201113_201410.jpg

4) 54" glider fuselage, Brown, with 10" wing cord (Full tail elevator)

20201113_202302.jpg

20201113_202343.jpg

Hi Murat, glider # 2 is a Diamond, the fuselage was made by John Hall in Somerset back in the 1980's.

Diamond

This is mine. Originally flown with rudder & elevator only (as designed) I converted it for ailerons. The dihedral appears greater than it actually is because of the wing sweep back. I built it some time in the 1980 & it's still in flying condition today though it hasn't flown for over a year due to lack of opportunity & the pandemic.

Glider #4 looks like one I have stored (but not worked on) in the attic. If it is it will be an epoxy/glass fibre moulding whereas the Diamond is polyester/glass.

Sorry for the delayed reply, Murat, I've been looking for any drawings or info I might still have but after all this time it's either been discarded or well hidden amongst my collection of model plans etc.
My Diamond is 100" wingspan, the wings are obeche veneered foam with balsa LE & TE. I bought the basic wing, without LE & TE, with the fuselage. There was also a 120" wing available, also of veneer foam construction. There was no plan as such, just a dimensioned sketch of the model. The wing section is one of the Eppler series with a small amount of undercamber. I could be wrong but E374 rings a bell.
I'll keep looking for more info & get back with at least the dimensions measured from my own model.

Meanwhile if I've got it right there should be a short (poor quality) Youtube video taken from the model about 10 years ago.

Edited By PatMc on 18/01/2021 16:09:14

Hi Murat

I have a Diamond too, bought back in the day at a Sandown show. The wings are foam veneered and Clive Hall was offering a selection of wing sections cut to order as you wanted at the time. I believe mine was and E374 / E193 mix. I didn’t build mine until about 2 years ago and I electrified it ( sacrilege I know). It flies really well on a 3s set up in rudder / elevator guise. I didn’t fit any airbrakes but it was popular at the time to use the canopy as an airbrake. The fuselage and wing are simular to the Seam Bannister Algebra 8 which I believe Clive Hall made the parts for too.

if you would like any details please let me know And I should be able to locate the building sketches I have that came with the kit and I can photograph the model too if that helps. I can also let you have details of the electric set up I have if this is of interest. A nice classic design that flies really well for its age.