OS MAX 15FP Stuck throttle barrel

Piers Bowlan

Chaps, I bought this engine second hand some years ago and it was stored well oiled in a dry environment, However the throttle barrel has seized (caster oil lacquer I think) so I thought I better seek advice before messing with it. The throttle arm is plastic and easily removed. What is the next step? Sorry to ask a silly question but apart soaking the carb in glow fuel (or meths?), what should I do next as I don't want to damage it? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Martin, would you heat it in situ or remove the carb from the engine or is that a bad idea as it might damage the seal beneath the carb. There a couple of screws holding it in place. Also would it help to remove the spray bar or would that make no difference?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/11/2020 17:31:07

Much appreciated Ken. yes I have removed the carb and currently soaking in glow fuel for several hours before trying gentle persuasion angry. I have removed the plastic throttle arm and fitted a strip of aluminium instead to try and work the throttle barrel lose - more leverage. I will try a heat gun (when it has dried out kulou) plus a few choice words, not repeatable on this forum!

Success!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I must admit that like Richard I was a little wary about applying heat for fear of damaging the rubber (or whatever) seals, although I know many of you heat the engines to good effect.

Thanks too to Jon (of Laser Engines fame) whom I contacted and he also suggested I remove the throttle stop screw. After a good soaking in fuel I was then able to turn the barrel clockwise, past fully closed. Turning it anti-clockwise just undid the temporary ali throttle arm that I had fitted. Now back together and oiled the engine is waiting a test run after umpteen years. smiley