Spektrum AR 620 receiver Failed

tigerman

I have a DR 6 and have a or did have a model with a Spektrum AR 620 receiver in it .Took off all OK flew around ,the the model pitched up and from that point I had no radio control over the model ,hence a spiral to mother earth and no more model .When I got to the remains of the model I noticed the AR 620 amber light was slowly blinking even though my transmitter was still on It was not blinking fast like when you go to bind the receiver ,it was flashing a slow amber light .I turned everything off and then turn the transmitter on and connect the receiver and everything was OK .Anybody have any idea what happened .It seems to me I lost the signal but the big question is ,was it the receiver or transmitter ? and what did the slow flashing amber light indicate ?

Orange slow blink is power failure.

Dead BEC, overloaded BEC, flat or failed battery, dodgy switch, bad connection in power path, either from RX battery or BEC or main lipo, black wire issue, dry solder joint.

Just off top of my head there are a few things more likely that "the RX done it" - test, test, test.

The last "radio fail" I experienced turned out to be the main lipo connector getting dirty and losing proper connection with vibration.

Alternatively, I'll have the 620 if you don't trust it smiley

The voltage dropped too low. . The flashing light is a warning that it happened but the radio (Rx) usually recovers and reconnects. .The fact that the Rx did not reconnect suggests the battery pack failed.

Flying in cold weather can cut into a battery's stamina. . . The problem is that by the time all the wreckage has been collected, the battery might have recovered enough to suggest it is still working perfectly.

Pay attention to the on/off switch too... some of them don't like cold weather, especially if they are a bit elderly.

I think I have found out the problem .What I did I connected the lipo first then realised I had not turn the tranny on so I turn the tranny on and it after a while all connected .I have just done the same in my workshop I connected the lipo first ( I know you should not do it that way but was trying to find out ) then I turned the tranny on after instead of doing this first .and I noticed connecting the lipo before you turn the tranny on ,once you turned the tranny on the controls work but in a jerky movement then the receiver starting flashing so it looks like this is why I crashed I did not connect the battery in the right way .Every time I switch on the tranny first then connect the lipo after everything is fine but if I connect the lipo first it will do the jerky movement then flash orange

it makes no odds to DSMX kit as to which is switched on first, in fact as a safety case plugging in the RX first prevents the motor output from going high for several reasons

receiver light flashing is a power problem, for whatever reason your RX power is not right

would strongly suggest checking for other causes and not looking at the RX or TX here

Is a DR6 a Spektrum TX?

Not my area of expertise, but does the RX pick up on the TX frame rate as it powers up? So if the TX is on then the RX selects the correct frame rate, if not it defaults to preselected setting.

Not all servos like certain frame rates and go all jerky.

If you can repeat the issue on the bench then check what firmware the RX and TX are on.

PS You could speak to John at Logic RC **LINK** who are the UK service agent for Spektrum (found him very helpful and quick service)

Spektrum frame rate is set at bind time if it is selectable at all (not all Spektrum TX allow the choice). If tigerman has a later DX6 I believe you can choose, but the default is always 22ms.

Not all (esp older) analogue servos like 11ms frame rate.

It is conceivable that binding at 11ms with analogue servos has caused a servo failure, which is now causing power supply problems.

I don't know the exact failure mechanisms inside analogue servos on 11ms.

I have not got the instructions for 620 but manuals for AR610 and 410 say that if you turn on Rx before Tx then it goes to failsafe mode while it waits for a Tx signal from the correct Globally Unique Identifier.   Probably that's the extra movements you see when switching Rx on first. Also clearly says you can turn on either first.

Edited By kc on 08/12/2020 13:24:06

broke aerial ar636a.jpg

A 'loose' aerial (seen in the photo when pulled out) caused my Eflite Radian XL 2.6m powered glider to fly with a mind of its own. Resulted in it being written off when it nose dived and disintegrated into several pieces on hitting the ground. Rx used once and although just one month out of warranty Logic RC would not replace. Al's Hobbies did a repair for £15 including return postage.

Lesson learned: Ya have to check EVERTHING