C/H programmer dead, heating still on.

fly boy3

Advert

I'd certainly try a different set of new batteries. Have you checked the voltage of each cell? Also contacts are the bane of multiple battery holders - check them for cleanliness, too.

The batteries in my Brother label printer expired - 8xAAA. I had a load in stock I bought from eBuyer a year or so ago and fitted them and it still didn't work. I checked all the batteries in the packs and over 50% of them were either dead or very low. Fitting new ones that tested OK cured the problem and the label printer is back in action.

I try to use Duracell primary cells where I can. Unfortunately it's so long since I bought the AAAs from Ebuyer I can't return them. I buy most of my PC related stuff from them and it's always been good but this was definitely a bad buy.

Geoff

Losing the display seems a common problem. Last time that it got to the point where my Tower Omnichron got to the point where it became unusable due to being unable to readthe display, I found a Hive wireless programmer/room thermostat/hub at a giveaway price (not much more than a replacement programmer) at Toolstation and fitted that to resolve the problem.  The unit was perfectly functional except that I was unable to see which program was in use or make any modifications.

I suspect that being installed subject to heat in an airing cupboard may often be the cause.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 03/01/2021 13:53:41

Of course you can always ditch the electronics and revert to a mechanical system. Just a synchronous clock, adjustable tabs and switches.

CHcontroller

Yes it has to be hard wired into the boiler so not as convenient but they are super reliable. Our CH boiler (its new) is controlled by a second hand one bought at a car boot sale over 20 years ago! wink 2

Programmers are often 'plug in' - a base frame is wired in and the control plugs in so it's very easy to change it yourself if you find the hidden screws top and bottom. Worth looking at what the plumber does so you can do it yourself in future.