The pure joy of model flying

FilmBuff

Key ones for me was the first flight of a Keil Kraft rubber powered Sportster my dad built with me got me hooked on model aircraft, then my first control line flight with a Cox PT19, and my first solo rc flight and great three pointer landing with a Tim Ruck designed Cavalier trainer. All three stand out even after some 40 years.

Posted by J D 8 on 19/01/2021 15:24:38:

As a school prize I chose from a selection of books " Your book of Aeromodelling by Robert R Rodwell which in part covered the building/flying of the Cadet putting me on the path to some 55 years of modelling.

On winning the Junior Music prize (aged 14 in 1958), I chose Ron Moulton's Model Engine Encyclopaedia as my prize. The music master was not impressed - but I was. I've still got it, complete with school badge embossed in gold on the front cover.

Posted by Geoff Peacock on 21/01/2021 18:08:01:
Posted by J D 8 on 19/01/2021 15:24:38:

As a school prize I chose from a selection of books " Your book of Aeromodelling by Robert R Rodwell which in part covered the building/flying of the Cadet putting me on the path to some 55 years of modelling.

On winning the Junior Music prize (aged 14 in 1958), I chose Ron Moulton's Model Engine Encyclopaedia as my prize. The music master was not impressed - but I was. I've still got it, complete with school badge embossed in gold on the front cover.

This is beecoming serious thread creep,. However, on winning my sole school prize, for English in 1943, what I really wanted was R.A. Saville-Sneath's Penguin Aircraft Recognition Pt. 1. What I actually got was Peter Pan. Had the right book for Christmas, which hooked me on aviation of various sorts for the next 77 years. Still got it.