Colin’s Spanish Fury

• 3 weeks later...

e3bab4b2-a788-43b6-b17c-fc9e8ca6ca9b.jpegAfter the inactivity caused by Christmas I have done some more work on the fuselage sheeting and also the undercarriage. To increase the surface area of the wire to be imbedded in the rubber shock absorber I have encased it in carbon fibre tube. The box that the rubber will be cast in is made from 3mm liteply. Just started on this. I did an experimental cast of the two pack material and it looks spot on for toughness and resilience. I will shortly mix enough to fill the box with the wire in situ. It looks promising. I have also worked out how to make sprung wheels. Not sure it will be necessary though.2780d77b-2337-4d37-b9bd-e34735f9eef8.jpeg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 02/01/2019 22:32:22

Hi Martian, thank you. This is intended to be the version with the single cantilever legs and Dowty sprung wheels, quite different from the standard Mk1 and 2. As far as I can see there aren’t any wires there. Also the undercarriage is completely clear of the wing. The reason I have made the undercarriage this way and dreamed up the moulded shock absorber idea is to resolve some of the difficulties in making it strong enough and still have acceptable spring reaction. I hope it will work, but I’m optimistic!

Ernie, I don’t think I’m competent enough to teach anyone anything! Basically I bent them into a curve using pliers, then formed them around the wire using a hammer and a flat chisel. The important thing was shaping them to be flat on the face that would be against the wood former and when I had that more or less right, I crimped them up in the vice.

I’m currently trying to get the lower wing centre section right, I’m on the second version now having scrapped the first attempt as being beyond salvation. Don’t ask how I managed to do that. I do wonder sometimes if Dennis Bryant ever actually tried to build a plane from this plan, or whether he extemporised the original as he went along and drew the plan afterwards from memory. It really could do with re-drawing accurately and the detail much improved. Sarik should do that, it’s not as if it is a cheap purchase.

I am working to the plan, the only difference in the wing is the insertion of the tubes to make the wing cellules plug in. After thinking otherwise with the first attempt I’m now going to build each wing in one piece and and then separate the three sections afterwards.

ab0dc1ab-ff3d-4b9d-9776-f75273d2dcd9.jpegI was able to get two hours in tonight and spent it sorting out the mis-positioning of the wing-joiner tubes to get the correct 1 7/8” dihedral. Some untidy surgery but it is right now and all key connections secured with epoxy. The ribs in positions 1 and 3 are made from 3mm Liteply instead of 1/16” balsa. 167d4b5b-2670-4aaa-9fbc-ca0b34ddb46c.jpegIt will enable me to get the opposite wing panel right first time! Before I start on the second panel though I will do the leading sheeting, cap strips, webbing and leading edge.

Although the idea of the wing joining is to leave the centre sections and cabane in place, I also wish to be able to remove them for access so will still make them detachable as on the plan.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 22/01/2019 22:30:25

3bffd05c-04f5-4d31-8776-822905c3ceb2.jpegA bit further with the port lower wing tonight. It is always interesting to see the rigidity produced in a wing by sheeting the leading edge. I really doubt if webbing between the spars does’ anything with a wing like this because if ever there was enough movement to create that kind of loading I would have thought the wing had in effect already failed anyway! Still that’s just an opinion so I will do that job next. The Hitec slim servos for the ailerons have arrived from Servo Shop, ab8154d5-a31a-44b8-8933-71a3fe441f8d.jpegalthough it will be a few days before I get as far as the upper wing.