Colin’s Spanish Fury

This is all inspirational and helpful stuff, great to see one in the air and the camouflaged finish looks brilliant. Although there were only three Spanish Furies, it looks as if they weren’t all finished the same, so there’s some choice there. I’ve also noted the experiences with the rigging. The way I’ve done the wings with the panels sliding on c/f tubes makes the centre section very rigid. I intend to see if I can keep the wing bays pre-assembled to minimise the work load at the field and also minimise the need for re-adjustment.

Thanks gentlemen for your favourable comments. I like your idea Eric for the rigging. Before the Fury goes away for the winter, I will replace the Reeves rigging with 18swg wire and steel clevices with one end allowed to swivel. The it will be on with the Taylor Hurricane and Mosquito (over 4 years since building started) unless I get diverted again

Graham

• 1 month later...

68d6b93f-916f-4bec-815a-e4db3b2004ca.jpeg35a5a227-471c-4439-a07c-523bc91eede7.jpegIn spite of taking great care on the building board I’ve got some misalignment on the wing panels and dihedral is slightly out on one side of the top wing. I should have used Danny’s method and built them in one piece and sawed through the dihedral braces afterwards, it’s slowing things down but it must be right, so we persevere. 0ed2b333-6ec7-4ee7-a185-329a764ff70b.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

With more free time now I’ve been working on the wing details to 9048167f-502f-4738-a56c-268fbefe2686.jpegcorrect poor workmanship and make sure that everything is right. Dihedral angles are correct, wing panels slide on and off the carbon-fibre rods smoothly and all line up correctly. The brass connectors for the rigging wires are fitted. Although the ailerons are in place I haven’t yet bushed the hinges, that’s the next job, then fit the shrouds and sort out the aileron servos.

96976a19-a0fb-4363-a75a-3d12307de688.jpegI’m getting in regular time on this build at long last. Ailerons sorted and shrouds made, now fitting the Hitec HS125 slimline metal geared servos and extension leads. Once done I’ll set the incidences and solder in the cabane strut diagonal members. I’m leaving all of the sanding to the final stages, so shortly will be back 9733cb5d-9ecf-4536-b8f1-556910870070.jpegonto the fuselage. Decent working space has always been a problem, so the existing two sheds are disappearing and being replaced by a new one 17’x9’ long, partitioned off to give me a proper workshop 13’ longx9’ wide, with a continuous work-bench 11’ long. It will be in position on 22 December and at last I will be able to properly set up my drill stand, bench saw, 3D printer etc. Being (90%) properly retired makes all of the difference.

Wing servos and extension 940e2b7d-7d76-400a-8879-ab9e886e96f0.jpegleads are in, apart from final sanding and any filling, the wings are finished and ready for covering. Next step is to make the top wing incidence setting jig from the pre-formed parts and get that done. I’ve noticed today that for some unknown reason the trailing edge of the upper centre section has warped along its length, so have to find some way to straighten it.

9d387bd1-02f2-4ff6-8722-dd5ca36013b6.jpeg6f1bfc10-123e-4c0a-8874-23b736977473.jpeg42ea8e7a-78fd-4ec0-8915-659a823a84ea.jpegefd420c5-0584-4410-8854-67ed9e72923d.jpeg736bafb7-a716-4ea1-8f26-91d45923a4d1.jpegI’ve struck a problem that I’ve shared with Danny and he has sent me some helpful detail. I’ve lost a couple of days trying to understand why in attempting to set the upper wing incidence using the jigs made up from the plan, the fuselage section made up from F3 and 4 was about an inch up in the air from the base board! The 10swg wire cabanes are accurate to the plan. I’ve finally understood that the wire dimensions on the plan are drawn to the vertical spacing and make no allowance for 91be184e-ca0d-4c11-a199-1c08820e21e7.jpeg the true diagonal dimension. Ridiculous, how can that be? Fortunately I’ve got enough 10swg to re-make them when I’ve worked out the accurate dimensions, but could have done without this.

I made mine with wire bent using the plan and wire bound the struts but didn't solder. I didn't use the jig. I measured directly from the plan and triangulated the wing to fuselage rear to make sure it was straight. Tack soldered to hold it steady then soldered up after the wing halves had been removed.

I wonder if the squiggles on the cabane wires drawn on the plan (you can see them in the photos previous) have got something to do with it? I didn’t do them, they’re on the printed copy. Are other plan copies the same? If I use them as drawn, the upper wing will be too close to the fuselage. To position the wing correctly, they have to be longer, so I’ll work that out myself. It definitely ain’t right.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 23/11/2020 17:59:14:

That is most peculiar Colin, I can understand what you are describing but why haven't the rest of us hit this issue?

I made mine from the plan.

Anybody else want to chip in here??

I had the same problem as Colin as mentioned on my build ,I had 3 attempts to get the rear cabane right