Colin’s Spanish Fury

Thank you Chris! Although there are some frustrations with the design detail on this one, it hasn’t frustrated me in the way the Chipmunk build did! That remains mostly built but with a number of niggling details needing to be resolved, starting balefully at me from the other side of the shed. One day, but I confess to be more enthusiastic about this and I am particularly enthusiastic about getting this Spanish variant finished and flying, I find it really interesting.

9d5322da-c41f-4b4e-b9cd-7d13e1283936.jpeg32d82793-448f-4a5b-9534-51e11b7e4ea5.jpegWe all do this! Taking stock so far. Although the fuselage is true in plan I have somehow got a slight twist that is apparent because the tailplane is slightly off horizontal. Sorting that out by adjusting the mounting plate should be sufficient. I can envisage ground handling problems with the tall narrow u/c. Although the Spanish version has a different set up, geometry and wheel position are the same. (Note I haven’t drilled the wheels yet). We know that Dick van Mourik widened his to solve problems with scraping wing tips, although I’m reluctant to do that.

Next job will be to add the strut mountings and the wing attachment plate, then on with the upper wing. Looking inside the fuselage you can see the u/c shock absorber box, it shows signs of working well. Also the angled battery mounting that is intended to solve a c of g problem that will arise because of my long motor, but offers other useful advantages as well.08b4d07c-17dd-41eb-b010-a5038e4c2125.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Colin

I should have started sooner!! You will be telling us how it flies and I will be nearly thinking about covering!!

I had not heard of or used the method of showing a right wing plan from a left using meths spirit. I tried it and got a super reproduction that only lasted as long as the drawing was wet!! Please, what did I do wrong?

Regards

Jim

You did nothing wrong Jim, but you did demonstrate a characteristic of meths - it evaporates quickly. I use paraffin or any available oil. Cooking oil works and so does WD-40. Just make sure you protect your building board with cling film or similar and also protect the model from the oil on the plan. Whatever you use, it'll dry out eventually and go opaque ... but it'll retain the smell for some time!

Hi Jim. Andy is right, it evaporates quickly. However it must be about two years since I did the Chipmunk plan and you can still see through it. I have built the lower wing using this method and am now working on the upper wing, will do it again. I like it because it leaves the paper completely clean and dry, without any shrinking or stretching.

Using my chosen method for the wing fixing creates some work because of the need to make some ribs from 3mm Liteply and then careful work is needed to get the carbon fibre and brass tubes absolutely lined up and get the dihedral right. I am gluing up the top wing now.

I used the same method as on the Chippie 10BA brass bolts in a brass tube bushing to prevent excessive wear I used a ror to align them, this was actually two rods within a shirt length of brass tube at the centre so I could get the rod out after the glue had set

Does that make sense?

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/02/2019 21:32:45

Hi Colin looking great well done.

I did try one of the GF hinges between the spars and they did not fit and would need to be narrowed, that was enough to put me off using them. The minute you start adjusting them then they are not identical and you have to be careful not to have allignment issues. If you use the piano wire through the centre that will alleviate that.

Did yours fit ok Martyn?