Colin’s Spanish Fury

Frustratingly I haven't been able to spend any time on this in the last few days, just managed to get a few hours last week setting up the motor in the Ultra Stick, though lord knows when I will get to fly that with current weather forecasts.

Finally I got back in the shed tonight and accepted that my consideration of using a carbon fibre rod running all the way through as a hinge wasn’t practical without a lot of codging, so I have gone back to the plan and am using individual 10 swg bolts on each hinge. At least my initial attempt to set up the c/f rod gave me perfect alignment of the part of the hinges set into the wing. Still a slow fiddly job, but with a bit of care it should come out ok.

My next job is the ailerons so I will be following your build closely. Things have been slow recently, I seem to get diverted too easily and now we are away caravanning in the highlands enjoying the wet weather! Glad your eye is better. Mine have been a problem recently with some sort of allergy causing a severe itch and swelling but better now.

Graham

Hi Graham, nice to hear from you, noting where you are now and wondering if you can remember where home is these days!

What I have found is that with the glass fibre hinges positioned in the wing where it appears that they should be, the aileron underside isn’t level with the wing underside but 3 or 4 mm below it. I have fixed the front part of the hinges exactly where they should be so it looks to me as if the profile of the aileron section of the hinge can’t be quite right. I can cancel it out with some surgery to lower the offending bits and thus cancel out the error, but it is one of those jobs that you have to sort out while you go along. When I have made a bit more progress I will put some photos up.

Has anyone else using these hinges seen a similar problem.? I can’t see anything that I have done wrong.

da0cf904-848e-4651-8ce4-09db5dce5106.jpeg36e4f279-c48a-4941-918b-4b4a52855959.jpegHere is an attempt to show how, with the hinges apparently positioned correctly the aileron is too low relative to the wing on mine. No big deal, I will solve it 0e4765ba-a60e-4d3b-aefb-2fa001ac3f04.jpegby cutting slots into the 1/16” balsa core to allow recessing of the hinge for adjustment. I don’t have enough of the right size bolts to complete the hinges but they are in the post from Eileen’s Emporium.

I have felt as if some of the building tasks have been hurdles to overcome! Hingeing the ailerons was one of those, but now they’re both done. That’s a relief. Aileron servos next, then finish off the detail on the wings before getting onto the cabane. No friction at all in the ailerons, they drop under their own weight. Spot on. In the end I used 14 BA bolts and nuts with the fibre-glass hinges. Fiddly but fine when completed.00aa0ea5-bc48-4291-8a17-99ac70a12683.jpeg

• 9 months later...

After flogging a semi-deceased horse in the shape of a Pilatus Porter for too long, I’m back on the Fury. There is a bit of hangar rash on the fuselage, not much. As the wings are built and the undercarriage is in place, I want to sort out the motor mount next. I thought about using studding but looking at Martyn’s approach have decided to do something similar. As I’ve built it with the centre sections fixed and the wings sliding onto carbon fibre tubes, I need to think about the differences that will make to the strut detail. I’m hoping to be able to fit the wings as pre-assembled bays.

I decided to make a 5mm ply engine plate and then build on to that a box made from hard 5 mm balsa with the grain longitudinal. Although it is glued to the ply plate in front of F1, the security is provided by the 4.5mm engine bolts going all the way through that plate and nuts Loctited in place. The whole thing is in compression and should be ok.f6c2cc74-1665-4208-a755-681fd3ec79d6.jpeg

You are right Eric. It goes right back to the beginning when I worked off the motor specification suggested by Danny and this turned up, correct specification in terms of all the key numbers, but longer. I decided to use it anyway and to keep everything else correct is the reason why the battery box is angled instead of horizontal, to compensate for the longer motor. It should be fine, in fact I prefer the battery set that way.

Colin, you are better off with the battery angled. Don't tell Danny but I got carried away building up the fuselage that I almost forgot the battery and when I realised ,I had to build the box through the narrow hole I had left for the battery. However it all worked out right as it balanced without extra weight. I think you will be ok with your set up and be able to change batteries easier than me.

I am watching Eric

Yes Colin I ordered two more of those motors (for my next project, it's not a twin) and they are a fair bit longer, which is annoying, why the heck can't they leave the naming the same!!! The specs are not quite the same either, a bit heavier and a little less current. I think George at 4Max still has the original spec motors under the Purple power badge.

Anyway, great to see you back at it Colin, we will soon have a squadron.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 05/08/2020 08:58:34

Edited By Danny Fenton on 05/08/2020 08:58:50

Edited By Danny Fenton on 05/08/2020 08:59:19

• 1 month later...

This isn’t dead, but in the last three months I’ve done 3,000 happy miles on my new bike and been diverted onto another indoor project which didn’t work out but is at least a good outdoor flyer. (Pilatus PC6 Turbo Porter with 3 position flaps, Depron and Vector Board). At the same time I’ve been busy with continuing work taking 2 or 3 days a week. However I’ve started to sort out the cabane struts and did a trial assembly today before setting the angles of incidence and soldering in the diagonals. Having done that I realised that I hadn’t formed the bend at the top of the 10g wire struts to get the right sit on the join to the spars, see the photo! However I have rectified that and can move on.
My biggest difficulty has been continuing to work for 8 years beyond normal retirement age and the pressure that puts on an otherwise busy life. However I am ending that in October and although retaining a position and some responsibilities will no longer work any regular week-days. In addition I’m replacing my clapped out and cramped 12’x6’ shed with a new one giving me a working space 13’6”x9’. An increase from 72 to over 130sq.ft. That will be a big improvement..
In addition I’m rationalising my motorbikes to change from 1 current and two classic to one of each to reduce my garage time.
Finishing the Fury now takes priority over other model projects. I created extra work for myself by making the wing panels detachable but think it was the right thing to do, but I’ve also retained the detachable centre section feature. b6fde3ce-654c-4b42-9636-a6868263bca3.jpeg

Stick at it Colin, I had mine out this morning, blue skies and light wind 5 great flights just need some more batteries. Looks like you are going in the right direction with Depron and Vector board due to the impending shortage of balsa creating panic on the other thread. There was a kit in the 1980's for a trainer made of cardboard and ply , worked quite well.

Cheers Eric.

Good to see you back with the Fury. Keep going. It is so easy to get diverted. It happens to me all the time!

At last my Fury took to the skies at the weekend. We have had some great days, calm and warm conditions. There are a couple of pictures following. I made a big mistake in using Mick Reeves rigging. The turn buckles were a nightmare to fit in the field (or back of the car!). I will be changing them to wire and steel clevises as per Bryant's plan. Otherwise I was very happy.

Hawker Fury

Last of the wires fitted.

Hawker Fury

Lift Off

Hawker Fury

Graham

Hi Graham, nice to see another fury in the air. If you ar going to change the rigging it may be worth looking at my thread, I used steel clevises both ends and had one end adjustable with the other rotating in the clevis by soldering a piece of brass tubing onto the end of the wire. I used 220degree soft solder and after about 30 flights have only had one fail during a heavy landing . It is difficult to set up the wings using the method on the plans I did this on my first D. Bryant model the Bristol Bulldog and found the rigging needed regular adjustment ,not easy when trying to pull the clevis under tension and locate it back in the hole. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Colin.

Cheers Eric.