Colin’s Spanish Fury

The wood and plan came from somewhere I’m not allowed to say (can I say that now?). I’m measuring now and can confirm that the wires as drawn make no allowance for the diagonal span-wise or the forward angle from the vertical. I’m wondering if the copy I’ve been sent is from when the error was identified but not corrected? Let me have a look at Aerofred and see if I can download the pdf. If I can’t I’ll gratefully accept your offer.

Call it paranoia perhaps! Even so I thought I’d sit down this evening and work out for myself what the cabane wire dimensions should be to achieve the correct position and incidence for the upper wing. I’m very pleased to say that my numbers worked out within 2mm of the measurements on the AeroFred download, so that’s me sorted out for a day in the shed tomorrow. Once I’ve got this bit done I can solder in the diagonal braces into 86bfa1e6-38af-4540-981a-50a437185683.jpegthe cabanes, then I’m leaving all of that to get back onto finishing off the fuselage. At last!

I decided not to use my bone-idle excuse, so followed Danny’s advice and removed the wing centre section from the cabane to finish it off properly. The solution to the machine-gun troughs was in one of my favourite materials, 1/64” ply. Well-soaked in water to soften it, then cyanoed in place. Next to finish off the strut fairings then wrap them with servo wires in place. I think I’ll cut strips of Solartex to do that. And no, I haven’t forgotten the brass cleat for the cross bracing wires! I’ve finally decided to forget about tissue, silk, nylon, dope etc, all of which I have, but to cover the Fury with Solartex as I have enough to do it. Therefore I’ll cover the underside of the wing centre section before it goes back on. It won’t be painted though because I haven’t decided on the paint yet. Although there were originally three Spanish Furies, there is a choice of finishes. Should be in the new workshop in plenty of time to teach myself how to do a proper job of air-brushing! e9141380-e36e-40cd-9f8d-34100822a1cb.jpeg

eeb07a04-316e-4424-8259-73128a1fd92e.jpeg79f0b538-2369-4963-8334-4b45ce011c14.jpegCabane struts wrapped with thin strips of Solartex, complete and looks fine. However I’ve come to fit the brass parts for the bracing wires and they don’t match the plan. Also looking at Danny’s build log it looks as if he’s done something different. Before I bash on regardless, any observations please?26570995-35f3-4c20-9e31-4d85a3c01631.jpeg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 30/11/2020 17:46:45

Hi Colin, I cut down the V with a fine saw not quite through and pulled the top closer together, I think Martian done the same but soldered his I just put it in leaving the bolts to hold it. If I remember right I had to redrill the holes as they did not line up I think I only done this on one bracket as the other was near enough to the drawing..

Hi Colin, I cut down the V with a fine saw not quite through and pulled the top closer together, I think Martian done the same but soldered his I just put it in leaving the bolts to hold it. If I remember right I had to redrill the holes as they did not line up I think I only done this on one bracket as the other was near enough to the drawing..