Colin’s Spanish Fury

I think reasoning your way around a problem is what is important. Understanding what the designer intended and adapting to keep that same strength but using the materials to hand.

The brass bits saved oodles of time, but I wasn't actually able to use many as they were intended. But I have used lots of odd bits wink 2

All the methods are structurally fine Colin just go the way you fancy.

Cheers

Danny

37729ed0-5f9a-401e-9fb9-265fe2480b29.jpegI re-worked two of the brass fittings and got them close to the plan. Now fitted, problem resolved. There’s not much load on these, I’ve fixed them with 2mm screws and nuts but glued them as well, so they won’t move. Tomorrow I’ll remove the cabane from the fuselage section, finish the machine-gun troughs with a layer of tissue and dope to protect the 1/64” ply, then cover the balsa with Solartex. The wing centre section underside can then also be covered and the whole lot re-assembled. daa3d37f-9595-4d0a-a0e3-22848fdfd2a8.jpeg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 01/12/2020 22:22:04

Thanks Danny, nice to know that I might be doing something useful for a change! I’ve made a decision that I’m building nothing else until this one is finished and I’m sticking to that. Also this weekend I’ve got to empty the shed and find somewhere to stick everything because it’s being demolished next week. When you realise that it’s windier inside than outside then it has to go. The new much larger structure won’t be in place until December 22, so I want to get as much done this week before I’m snookered for a fortnight. However once it’s done I will have a far better building environment and more storage space as well. Onward and upward!

As planned I partially disassembled the cabane structure to tissue and dope the machine-gun troughs, covered the fuselage section with Solartex and then did the same to the underside of the wing centre-section. Afterwards I put it all back together. Some light sanding to do and I will then cover the top. Next step is to put it to one side and finish the fuselage.38449043-384f-404f-83e9-7adcf4fa3058.jpeg

6e9b6f67-8068-4e35-92fc-9ef155283c8b.jpegad779509-ffed-4568-a4c0-3bd181db0eaf.jpegd1ed7ce0-5840-496e-8f51-0e4f6606b75a.jpega5f3aa05-509e-42f4-9b07-19c070891291.jpegMy shed’s been demolished and removed today, a day early! It was in a real state. Build wise I’m completely snookered now just when I’m picking up speed, but by the end of the month I’ll be back in action in much better working conditions with plenty of working and storage space. I couldn’t believe how much stuff I’d got in the 12’x6’ shed and I’ve had to stuff it all into the lean-to on the other side of the house. The foamy models are there too, but the balsa planes are in the garage roof, f4870f8c-a5ad-403b-acf6-9f2322c2a90f.jpegwhich is already crammed with stuff going back forty years! The Fury is cosy in the loft with a PFM Giant Zlin NIB, a Mick Reeves Fe190D part built and there’s an unbuilt Mick Reeves Spitfire somewhere there up there as well!

Hi John, yes, I read it avidly and saw the reference to me and the Giant Zlin! Interestingly also, in the last few days I’ve been approached by someone who’s got a NIB PFM Cranfield A1, the 51” version. Paul Bardoe mentions in the article that ha hasn’t been able to find any of these, so I put this chap onto Paul. I haven't heard anything from either since, so don’t know if anything has come of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Danny! Graham, thanks to you as well. Great to hear you’re working on the BT Hurricane, Danny has built that to the very highest of scale standards.
The poor condition and limited space in the previous shed didn’t help with the building of larger models, so my progress is sporadic and I’ve been distracted by other smaller projects, which can be sneaked into the house and frequently worked on surreptitiously in the kitchen! It’s going to take a few days to get the new one organised and electrified but as soon as it’s fit I’ll be back onto the Fury. In the meantime I confess to having been working on a 27 1/2” span Magister made out of Depron and Vector Board, which is taking shape between the study, kitchen and bedroom.

• 2 months later...

I’d thought about making the front decking with the gun troughs from a piece of blue foam, but decided instead to work to the plan and make it from balsa, with 3mm planking. However I did insert two pieces of blue foam into the gun trough positions and shaped the troughs with a Permagrit tool and sandpaper. A little filler was needed afterwards but it will be ok when I’ve finished. Moving back, it’s a good job I’d saved Danny’s corrected F6 drawing, because I’d broken my first 3mm Liteply version. I made a new one, using the surplus ply left over from the wood pack. That’s in place now. I will plank that area tomorrow and cut the cockpit hole out using the template that was also created by Danny, which I have also saved. 

B2D646CB-0A0C-4DB3-AF48-94A5A8400FB3.jpeg

6738A10F-E8E1-4FDA-9A08-FDCD424BF4C4.jpeg

AB17D2BF-6C38-45E8-A6AF-2BE8F7291866.jpeg

E03A1B84-6647-4FA6-964F-D8B4623FD25D.jpeg

• Like 2