Remote glow connectors

Ron Gray

For my Laser engines which are usually mounted inverted, I prefer to have a remote glow connection so that my digits are well away from the prop. Over the years I have tried seven different types and my favourite ones were the South Herts ones with a brass barrel surrounded by a spring coil which kept a small (very small) ball bearing in place that provided the locking function to the plug.

836F9576-C3A8-4A47-ACAF-0AEC5CA0534E.thumb.jpeg.c5595bdd3f8d18d354df062824da2ee6.jpeg

Unfortunately these went out of circulation a couple of years ago so I looked for an alternative. 

This one from Fastrax, unfortunately, due to its angle construction, it is very difficult to fit to a Laser engine as the cylinder fins are in the way and there is a danger that they will cut through the insulation leading to the lead getting a short.

DDC76B61-6A0A-40EF-8113-6C93B23A07E0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3c8aa11ea5a4ec7a262d3c8449c8f06f.jpeg

Next I tried another Fastrax one, this one being straight. Fixes to the plug OK but is a bit bulky and to remove it you have to pull on the lead which can sometimes break away!

403AF5FD-D740-42FB-AD3F-6F61672B33ED_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7dd5924a945ef9d2ccb8d8e783c66891.jpeg

I then looked for an alternative and have just received these ones made by Traxxas. There is a spring in the end which you, if you can, push / screw onto the plug but boy was it an effort to fit one onto the OS Type F plugs, probably alright on ones with a thinner plug top.

79C04E3F-56B5-40BC-8497-856F144BE0E1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.76432274b4095da55a1811e99df18253.jpeg

But this got me thinking, I've got lots of springs kicking around, and I found several of the right size.

CCC1AC10-23CD-4BD1-8A63-91CB4DCA336D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5ac9f8b20e6793632f46ea13a6429d69.jpeg

Fitting this to a plug was very easy

And removal

And the great thing is that I can make several from the spring and can use a small bolt to screw the power wire into it rather than solder - result!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advert

I used to use lengths cut from the old-fashioned curtain wire, the plastic coated spiral wound stuff.  It looked a lot like your spring once the plastic sleeve was cut off and was a good fit on most plugs.  I used a self-tapper screwed into the other end to connect the lead via a crimped tag.  Cheap, easy to make and any length you like.  I've also used a biro spring inside a length of fuel tube on smaller engines.

• Like 2

I have a Laser 155 and and a 70 so have needed remote glow for both.   I used a croc clip covered in fuel tube for insulation.  I cover it in 2 -3 bits so that you can still use as a croc clip and easily remove.  So far they have stayed on.  I like the idea of a spring however.  Neat. 

Now where to get the correct size of spring....

Cheers

LPP

A way I have used is to take an electrical "chock bloc " section [ the right size ] and remove the plastic cover. One screw holds the wire and the other clamps onto the glow plug pin in one of the groves. Works well with Enya plugs which are different from most.  Cover with heat shrink or if enough room leave the original plastic on and trim a bit to get it on. Not suitable for plugs in a deep recess.