Super Sportster 90/120

Advert

Wing built and joined together today, so a dry assembly to confirm it looks like an aeroplane.

20210516_214105.jpg

A nice thick wing should make for good flying.

20210516_214300.jpg

There's a few details left to make, (ailerons are in progress, wing tips and some minor odds and sods but gluing wood together is drawing to a close.

Edited by Dale Bradly
Because it uploaded the pics without my text the first time!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wing is finished, other than some future graphics.

I happened to have 3 different weights of lam film, thus the majority of the wing is covered with 50 micron, with 100 micron around the centre section where wear and tear is a bit more likely, and 250 micron in lieu of the fibreglass wing joining bandage. (yes, in case you are wondering, 250 micron is like ironing on a steel sheet).

Mostly looks pretty sharp, a couple of minor wrinkles but as taking this to Top Gun isn't my aim, I'm not concerned.

Certainly applying the 50 micron is almost pleasurable, doesn't shrink as well or easily as regular iron-ons, but satisfying all the same.

20210529_165324.thumb.jpg.78fc652d20c0dbd721d9abf5cfe8e5d9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A bunch of odds and ends completed of late, and in no particular order:

Fuse servos and linkages are in, pull-pull on rudder and 2x elevator servos.

Turns out the rear fuse internal bulkheads were in the way of these linkages, so I had to cut open the "windows" in the rear fuse covering so i could access this area to cut these out, but will be easy to fix, and with the clear covering, overlaps/joins are just about invisible.

20210620_210655.thumb.jpg.75b5761cc48d479d32cd915e35873663.jpg

Clear covering, servos and gear visible ?

20210620_210702.thumb.jpg.1c87780550b733e388d039786d952df4.jpg

Back end, I modified and fitted some servo exit shrouds i had lying around, looks good.

I recently purchased a Radiomaster TX16S, and this will likely be the first model installed on it, is providing a real-life learning experience on setting it up. 

I was pondering the motor, and realised a carb rebuild is probably in order, so have a kit on order. I also realised that the stock muffler/tin can would foul on the fuse side, so i needed a spacer. Didn't see anything online that would suit, so got the local engineer to whip up something.

20210620_210928.thumb.jpg.d139d2ac0e2e9c4e9fe3ac094cb4a96f.jpg

Is 32mm long. Longer fastening bolts on order, but it will look something like this.

20210620_211019.thumb.jpg.74db86a5d8c32a51907d783c031483d9.jpg

I acquired some fibreglass u/c spats, but i want a further set, so i am currently cleaning one up in preparation for use as a plug, so i can produce a small run of them.

Wing dowels and mounting bolts are done, so it now looks like an aeroplane:

20210620_210638.thumb.jpg.92eca9a73fd4955dce0d5e4843bb2618.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, i'm probably not updating this often enough, or with enough info to keep you interested!

I'm waiting on the postman to deliver some new batteries and other minor items, and a carb rebuild kit.

In the meantime however, the local tame signwriter has been given a job with results very pleasing:

20210705_182135.thumb.jpg.fc4270555eddac19f631049cc6a11d8d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close.

Engine is in, with muffler extn to clear the fuse sides, and subsequently longer bolts.

Spinner is a standard chrome finish jobbie as found on endless online retailers, except my favourite powdercoater did his magic. Is a miles better finish, and more importantly, way more hardwearing than any paint i can put on it. Likewise, throttle pushrod is all set up and done.  The removeable cowl section is not covered with lam film as per the rest of the model, but several thick coats of a clear chemical resistant sealant as a fuel proofer. (as is the firewall and inside of tank bay)

20210717_202135.thumb.jpg.ee051fe29e5e3266b540bd3bf572aea4.jpg

I didn't photograph it, because there isn't much to see, but canopy is on too. Painted black. No cockpit here. 

As mentioned in previous post, am making some spats:

20210717_202005.thumb.jpg.3173841b1ad06889f63e0a803b326d4b.jpg

I acquired a pair as in the yellow example, about 9.25" long. As i want another pair the same size for another model; and spats in my experience tend not to have a long lifespan, being able to replicate them easily seems the right idea.

The second one is currently buried in the first stage of a 2-part polyester mold. Hopefully free it out tomorrow, see how bad my 'glassing has been, and start the other side, so i can lay up some epoxy spats in another week or so. 

Batteries arrived, I've used these in other models and like them, so repeat here. one for radio, one for ignition.

20210717_202011.thumb.jpg.defa899cb06f869c794dc7bac7ff5a8f.jpg

So outstanding tasks are:

Install batts,

install ignition module

Complete the underwing fairings

Complete programming radio

And spats, which of course won't stop it flying.

And carb needs stripping/cleaning/new diaphragm etc, which will stop it flying.

So getting close.

Edited by Dale Bradly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So outstanding tasks are:

Install batts Done. The batts above are installed and doing their thing.

install ignition module Done. Got it in between the cylinder head and the firewall and all connected up.

Complete the underwing fairings. Done. Enjoyed making these, mostly layers of 3mm balsa laminated and sanded to blend from the curved & angled wing bottom to the flat of the fuse underside. Pic below.

Complete programming radio. Work in progress. This is the first model on my new Radiomaster TX16S, so not only a new transmitter, but figuring out OpenTX. liking it so far after initially being hesitant.

And spats, which of course won't stop it flying. Work in progress, mold is done, and what might be the first spat is in progress at the moment.

And carb needs stripping/cleaning/new diaphragm etc, which will stop it flying. Done, carb kit arrived so stripped this down, new diaphragm and seals etc.

Ignition switch, new item needs to be fitted as the previous setup didn't work. RC switch in the post.

20210726_214258.thumb.jpg.10a8c54898d80c3d92a36b493123c9dd.jpg

Underwing fairings. These are the last bits of balsa to go on.

I took the model to the club on the weekend, with the intention of running up the motor, taxiing around, giving things a check over etc, and just maybe if the planets aligned, it might have flown, however they did not, but it could fly any time now. I did run up the motor, after a bit of a tuning and throttle linkage tweaking, all was right with the world.

20210726_214344.thumb.jpg.a50f47292201bd631ee854b03b81458e.jpg

first run of spat halves. 

• Like 1

It might have flown today ?

Went to the strip, ran it up, all seemed well, so took off. Two circuits and back down as it was badly out of trim, and not being familar with the radio yet (this was also the first flight with the TX16S) best adjusted on the ground. Ended up with 3 flights, starting to feel comfortable at the end. Plenty of power/speed.

Still a few minor tweaks to do, hopefully have the spats completed in about a week, which will be the last and then it is formally complete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Assembling the spats onto the u/c.20210806_215559.thumb.jpg.597b9a41d6f355169fd11a14a6d1a6b2.jpg

Not visible in the pic, but I had some top hat section couplers, these are threaded onto the axle bolt,  and the spats are screwed to these. (These are the 4 small screw heads visible surrounding the axle nut. Same both inside and outsides, so spat is well fixed. Spats I have also filled with expanding foam, the interwebs tells me this helps prevent the small cracks that tend to afflict these things.

Also fitted an electronic switch to the ignition batt supply. Another thing to figure out on the opentx, which took about 6 seconds. 

(My club prefers some form of positive throttle inhibition. While aimed at electric, and with gas if it is silent then the prop is probably not spinning, regardless it's not a bad habit to be in. So I'm slowly setting all my models to use the same switch as a throttle lock, so I have to deliberately switch it so the throttle will engage, regardless of power system. In this case, it both closes the throttle fully, and isolates the batt supply.) 

Enjoying the opentx, seems pretty simple,  perhaps because it provides lots of info and in a logical fashion. Starting to see how the somewhat fixed menus and structure of previous radios seem hard/arkward now. Or maybe just different.