"Noob" alert! Advice needed please :)

tizdaz

Hi guys!

Ok a little bit about myself in terms of RC.

I've always been keen on RC models, mostly IC type (Nitro/Petrol). Over the years I've built many IC buggy models, my latest was an FG, which i custom built. So I'm not new to IC engines, especially Petrol, but I'm also experienced with Nitro, such as setting up/Tuning etc & my latest RC Project is a scratch built WW2 TID Tugboat which is largescale (1/12). For anyone interested here are some build pics: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2 & here are some vids including water test etc: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3 ?

Anyway onto why I'm making this post!!

I've always had a thing for RC planes, but weirdly over all the years I've been a massive RC fan, I have never owned or used an RC plane!! ....until now! (bet you knew that was coming!).

So, as well as RC models I also have a thing for WW2 warbirds (don't we all!?) in particular the P-51 Mustang. So after doing lots of research for the different RC ones available, the Hangar 9 one was the one that I set my heart on, soooo I decided to take the plunge & buy it! ? For the record, the quality of this ARTF kit is amazing, very nice detail, looks very well-built, so no complaints as yet! Although at present I've only fit the flaps!!

It's a Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang 20cc version, I know this is NOT ideal for a "noob" like myself, And I'm sure it will be a good while before her maiden flight due to my in-experience of flying RC Planes, however, I will be taking my time building it as it requires some building as it's an ARTF kit, I also purchased the Eflite electric Retracts & also 8x Spektrum servos, the engine I will eventually purchase will be the DLE 20RA as it has rear exhaust so will fit in the cowl nicely & out of all the videos I've been watching, the DLE 20RA has the nicest sound for me!, For me building the models is a big part of the fun & also gives a good insight to how the models operate so this in turn also helps with repairs when needed from the knowledge gained when building them! So for this warbird, once I've fully built her she will then be sat in my room proudly, so every time I look at her, it will be my goal (& My personal MISSION!) to learn to fly RC planes good enough, so I can take her on the maiden flight! ..if it takes Months before I feel confident, then so be! I will be in no rush ?

So, I've turned my attention to Trainers, there's a few I was looking at, I want it to be an IC trainer as this is what I will be flying, so it makes sense to learn using an IC model. There is a few options I was looking at, but then someone offered me an intermediate plane for a good price, it's the Seagul Decathlon 40, in good condition, it's similar size to my mustang, comes with servos (although very basic/old servos, so I will probably swap them out), I also need to fit an engine. Now I know this is not a dedicated trainer, but is it still doable to train with? Or should I first get a cheapo foamy just to get used to the basics then move onto this to continue my training & as a stepping stone to my beloved Mustang!?

Also, I would happily pay for one-on-one lessons for RC Flying, but I have no idea if such is available anywhere near where I live which is Ellesmere Port, I'm willing to travel as long it isn't too far!

Anyway any info much appreciated! ?

Cheers

Daz!

HI Tizmas.  Welcome to the hobby and the Forum.  OK here is what I suggest:

1.  Join a local club.

2.  Obtain a high wing trainer, (2nd hand or new) such as a Seagull Boomerang.  Use an OS 46 Engine.

3.  Get help to fly the trainer and get proficient before progressing.

4.  Get a more advanced aircraft, such as a WOT4 or an Acrowot.  Wot 4 could use the 46

5.  Get practised on the more advanced plane.  Learn aerobatics basics

6.  Only now think about the P51 unless you want to risk the obvious

Note I do not think a Decathlon would be an ideal trainer.  Regarding the P51.  H9 models are really lovely so please enjoy.

Best Regards

LPP

Edited by Low pass Pete

Try contacting the Wrexham MAC or the club that flies from the Singing Kettle along the A55 (forgot the name).  You should be able to get contact details from BMFA or just Google search.  Your local Model shop would be Steve Webb at Frodsham by the way and they would be able to give advice and relieve you of your cash at the same time.!!!!?.  I used to fly at the Sealand and Wrexham sites many years ago.  There is also a club close to Frodsham I think as well.

LPP

Welcome!

Similar advice to lpp's, but I'd consider swapping swap an Acrowot for the Wot 4 (learn low wing flying) and a slightly larger engine, e.g. OS55.

Key thing is the club as any instructor(s) may want to help you by following a different path.  They may also help sway your choice of radio - one of your other treads ?

Good luck, keep us informed of progress.

GG

Welcome to the forum Tizmas!

I agree entirely with Gnome and Low Pass. A Seagull Boomerang with an OS 46 will give you lots of fun while you hone your skills before you move on to the WOT 4, the Acrowot and the Mustang.

The Decathlon may look like a trainer but they can bite you if you're not careful. The Boomerang is much more robust and practical. Its semi-symmetrical wing section will enable it to fly in a stiff breeze too.

BTW "very basic/old servos" like the Futaba S148 or the Hitec HS311 are perfectly adequate for most 40-60 sized models. 

I cannot fault the comments of the other guys here, everything they have said is just fine. 

But, to put this in context, if you fly every weekend and learn quickly you are 2 years minimum away from flying that Mustang and frankly, i would suggest you take longer than that. If you want it to survive more than a flight, take your time. There is no sense in trying to scramble into the air as it will all end in tears. 

Warbirds are not difficult to fly, but they are very different. Also unlike any of the models the guys have rightly suggested, they take no prisoners. I have seen model pilots of over 10 years experience struggle with the switch to WWII era fighters. 

LowpassPete list of goals is pretty good but i would amend a few things. 

1.  Join a local club.

2.  Obtain a high wing trainer, (2nd hand or new) such as a Seagull Boomerang.  Use an OS 46 Engine

3.  Get help to fly the trainer and get proficient before progressing.  - by proficient, i would suggest that means you can wring out that thing. If you leave the boomerang before your skills exceed its abilities then its too soon. You should also be able to fly complete circuits rudder only with confidence as you will need this rudder control ability for the scale stuff, cross wind landings etc. I use my rudder as much as elevator and aileron when it comes to flying my own warbirds and it makes a massive difference to the way they fly. 

4.  Get a more advanced aircraft, such as a WOT4 or an Acrowot.   - Acrowot would be my choice, nice step up but no too big a leap. 

5.  Get practised on the more advanced plane.   -  Again, use the rudder all the time, make sure you nail every landing perfectly. If you cant land well, you will be busting retracts every flight. Also practice flying smoothly. Anyone can bank and yank, but you never see a Mustang do that. 

6.  Only now think about the P51 unless you want to risk the obvious - Personally, i would suggest another step in between. Perhaps a slightly smaller warbird, or a scale model with fixed gear like a chipmunk perhaps? I have recommended the Seagull 60 inch P47 to a number of my customers looking to get into warbirds and it seems a good entry. Its quite stable but not so stable you wont learn anything. I have sold a number of engines for them and everyone i have suggested it to seems very happy with the whole combo.  

I am not trying to make the whole process sound like a chore, quite the opposite. You should enjoy moving through the various stages and consider each step up as another milestone. While the objective is obviously to fly the Mustang (and why not!) if you want to have the most success and avoid the frustration of broken models, really take your time. You never stop learning to fly in this hobby, and after 30 years at it i still learn new things all the time. 

Oh, and put a nice 4 stroke in the mustang and not a tinny 2 stroke ? 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 3

Morning and welcome

Yup all well covered by the previous replies. A 20cc warbird is literally the last thing for a beginner flyer to try.

Seagull Boomerang is a good shout. A few are in use in my club, the club trainer is a Boomerang, I have flown them, they are good. Get an OS 46 LA for motive power. A beginner friendly engine for beginner friendly airframe.

26 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

if you fly every weekend and learn quickly you are 2 years minimum away from flying that Mustang and frankly, i would suggest you take longer than that.

I'd second that.

Lastly, I would suggest getting a simulator and practicing hard with the trainers on it. It will teach you basic orientation skills and some useful reflexes. 

The Boomerang as it has a semi-symmetrical wing section (it won't 'balloon' in turns).

But if you've got the time and skills/inclination, then you'll be much better off building a proper IC or electric trainer from a kit than flying a balsa 'shattering-ply' ARTF.  The ARTF Boomerang is a very good model, but as an ARTF it does suffer from this cynical method of manufacture - I know as I've had to (i) order a new fuselage to replace the first one which shattered on a pancake, and (ii) manage to work through my frustrations in mending the replacement fuselage which also shattered albeit not as terminally in the most awkward of places after coming down in the rough.  If you've built a proper balsa model, you'll be able to mend it yourself.

Really good kits for someone in your position are:

• Chris Foss Uno Wot trainer
  • SLEC Sky 40 trainer

While you are building your proper trainer, you could still get flying with a lightweight RTF foamie, either something with undercarriage like a ST Models Discovery, or a powered glider (there are lots to choose from) which will be flyable from hand-launch and will be docile enough to give you experience of controlling, the effect of wind, orientation, learning to anticipate actions, etc.

But first join the BMFA, and join a good local club which has instructors.  It'll take you at least a season to learn to fly properly and safely.  Allow several years to really build up experience etc.  A simulator can be a real help, but there are no short-cuts to gaining experience with a real model at the field - its practice, practice and stick-time that counts.

This is a game of blood. Survivors either don’t care how much it costs, or how many hours are poured into the suffering. Our only consolation, we don’t die in the process. 
Don’t learn on anything more you are not willing to break. If it still flies, do it until it breaks. You can always wring entertainment out of anything.
In other words, learn as cheaply as you can. Don’t join the endless fails, want to run first.

Bike analogy, moped, and then climb on a MotoGP machine. What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

Indeed.

Also, when you do join a club, find the guy who (a) flies a lot (b) makes it look easy and (c) takes all his toys home in one piece. Take advice from him.

Not the guy who talks a lot instead of flying, or the other one who takes busted stuff home all the time, or the one who doesn't fly because the things he brought don't work in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1