servo lead extension tube !

Stuphedd

For channelling  long servo leads I tend to use drinking straws, I just undo the plastic plugs on both ends, servo and extension , plug the leads together, a bit of heatshrink on each separate wire and thread   them down the straw!

I t means that you dont have large holes in wing ribs , extension plugs getting caught on "structures" or even coming undone. and it looks neat . 

and you can get straws  up to 70cm long !

IMG_2870.JPG

• Like 3

if you pull hard enough you can get anything to come apart .Soldering would be more "Positive " but I have done this many times  and not had any failures yet .  There is one  definite advantage , when you need the servos anywhere else , just put the plugs back on ,no soldering !

cheers  

Extra long straws arrived this morning. They are verrry looong ?

When I first put them to use, I'll try using just heatshrink as @Stuphedd has suggested above and give them a good tug test. If they fail the tug test, I'm thinking of solderring the two parts of the crimp together and then adding heatshrink tubing. This will avoid the fatigue problem mentioned by @Phil McCavity. I have crimping gear, so can easily replace the soldered crimps as required. Obviously only useful for straight runs although straws might be tempted into a gentle bend.

In the past, I've tried rolling my own tubes by wrapping and gluing long lengths of paper around carbon tubing, large enough diameter to take the servo plugs and sockets held together with strong thread - works well but only on straight runs. I've more recently been using spiral wrap around the entire extended servo lead - also works well and can be glued to the airframe regardless of bends etc, but time consuming, adds weight and not easily replaced if servo needs replacing.

We can never have too many options at our disposal!

Edited by Gary Manuel
Typo

I don't believe the "fatigue problem" is really a problem if the soldered joint has a good heatshrink covering extending a few milimetres each side of the solder.  Wouldn't there also be a fatigue problem where a lead exits the crimp, if it weren't for the crimp housing limiting its movement? 

The point about being able to reattach the servo plugs is a good one but, like Gary, I crimp my own plugs anyway.

Allan. The fatigue issue is real. Soldered connectors have been prohibited for many years in Railway applications, in favour of crimp connectors. I believe that the same applies in the aviation and automotive industries. 

The crimp connection allows the wire to remain flexible right up to the crimp, whereas the solder connection results in an abrupt change between flexible and solid. This is the weak point.

Sorry, don't agree with the don't solder it argument. If the soldered wire connections are lying in a tube (straw) then flexing will be very minimal where as relying on a connection that is not accessible or not frequently connected/disconnected to wipe the contact surfaces is prone to poor contact.

I have had far more servo plugs that are not exercised give issues that I have had supported soldered connections fail.

PS some heat shrink and a thermosetting glue and some does not, but I would not rely on either for a pull test as for good practice we used servo locks.

Tin hat on and each to there own in the end.

4 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

Sorry, don't agree with the don't solder it argument. If the soldered wire connections are lying in a tube (straw) then flexing will be very minimal where as relying on a connection that is not accessible or not frequently connected/disconnected to wipe the contact surfaces is prone to poor contact.

I have had far more servo plugs that are not exercised give issues that I have had supported soldered connections fail.

PS some heat shrink and a thermosetting glue and some does not, but I would not rely on either for a pull test as for good practice we used servo locks.

Tin hat on and each to there own in the end.

Chris, surely if they are gold plated dirty metal contact should not be a problem!!!!!!