Large Plan Printing recommendation

Plans.thumb.jpeg.8925cf9dca7ff2c6401a4a1cf92ce027.jpegI am doing a feasibility study on building a Bird of Time (starts with….I’m gonna need a bigger building board…..) and downloaded plans for a Mk 4 version from Outerzone, and a 4 servo wing from RCGroups.

I tried tiling and printing the pdfs on my home printer, with awful results – they wouldn’t print square. I mentioned this to my wife who buys dressmaking patterns online and also has problems printing them. She said she had tried a company she found online and they had done a good job printing her patterns, so I gave them a try.

After some email correspondence I sent them pdfs of what I wanted, and asked them to print two copies of each (one for reference and one to cut up) as well as a reverse print of the 4 servo wing which had only been published as one half wing.

I placed the order on Friday (just before the Bank Holiday weekend) and they arrived this morning (Tuesday after BH Monday). I am very impressed by the quality of the paper and the printing, and even more impressed by the fact that I have received such a large quantity of paper (12 sheets in all, some 2A0 size) for the price of £23.32 including postage! The only quibble some might have is that they are folded not rolled, but I guess that keeps the cost down.

The company I used was CLC Essex, 8 Barrie Pavement, Wickford, Essex SS12 9DR, email Louise Cumbers at [email protected] and I have no connection them other than as a customer.

Local Architects are worth a try for getting plans printed, they are normally able to print on continuous rolls.

I had two copies of a Wolfgang Matt Super Star 11 printed locally each fuselage and wings on separate sheets so four sheets cost was iirc c£30

There are still some local copy/print shops that can do this but they are becoming rare.

It might be time to consider a new printer!  The Cessna 180 plan that I downloaded from OZ printed out very accurately (with the exception of one sheet of templates but that wasn't the printers fault) on my fairly basic A4 printer.  There was an awful lot of cutting and sticky taping but being able to print out individual parts of the plan during the build was invaluable.

I've had plans copied and (after some layout mods.) printed from a USB stick by a local print shop for very much less than the prices above (although a few years ago) so it may be worth shopping around.

25 minutes ago, FlyinBrian said:

Local Architects are worth a try for getting plans printed, they are normally able to print on continuous rolls.

I had two copies of a Wolfgang Matt Super Star 11 printed locally each fuselage and wings on separate sheets so four sheets cost was iirc c£30

There are still some local copy/print shops that can do this but they are becoming rare.

Brian,

I have been looking for plans of Matt's Superstar, may I ask, where did you get them from.

Thanks,

Andy

Related to this thread, I was fortunate to work at a company who had their own print room. Any plans i liked were run through and a tracing taken and two paper copies. I still have a few of the tracings but nowhere to get them printed.