Wings and Wheels 26 and 27th June 2021

Advert

Hope that those who are going have a great day out. Although only an hour or so away from me, W&W has been an increasing  disappointment in terms of its flying content and trade participation over the last few years before you know what. The final straw being the 'commentator' who ruined things for us - too loud, too much and just generally OTT.

Have booked tickets for the BMFA show at Duxford - enjoyed the LMA meet their back many years ago and it's good to see that what is an excellent site to showcase model flying is back on the calendar.

I was tied up with other things and missed the boat for WW this year. I have flown there the last..8 years? but this year my motivation is lacking. Probably due to the loss of 2020 flying season i want to fly for myself a bit and get back into the whole thing. 

I may give it a go next year

It’s an underrated skill being a commentator. 

Talk too much and it’s grating to the ears... not enough and there’s no point. They should educate and inform and not try and out do the noise of the flying display. 

The LMA have some very good, knowledgeable people on the mic.

12 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Have booked tickets for the BMFA show at Duxford - enjoyed the LMA meet their back many years ago and it's good to see that what is an excellent site to showcase model flying is back on the calendar.

Must have missed that Cuban, what show is it?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/events/june-flying-day-three

Not a cheap day out if you aren't an IWM member (me and Mrs C8 are, so we get a free entry to this and many other Duxford events) but of course you do get all the rest of the exhibitions included.

Just took a look at the W&W website and yes, 'The Commentator' is there this year so don't forget your earplugs.

I'm not sure as to how the event has been planned, my guess is that it'll be a fairly low profile showcase type of event along the lines of the last model show at DX back in 2009 that I have some video of and dated. Just bear in mind that a regular entry ticket is almost thirty quid to DX per adult and around half that for kids so you could be faced with quite an expensive day out. We have the IWM premium membership as we are regular visitors to Duxford and find the hundred quid or so  well worth the cost given that we do visit half a dozen times a yea,r not including other events, where we also get a reduction. The members' enclosure at airshows with its nice facilities and no queueing for the loos is worth the money alone.

On 26/05/2021 at 10:22, cymaz said:

There are/were other “commentators “ that were not very good. No names..no pack drill.

I rather liked Dave Bishop..........."he's British you know".........

Has a long chat with DB at Old Warden some years ago - really nice man with a huge aviation knowledge. Not everyone's cup of tea, but at least he didn't spend most of his time shouting at his audience and bombarding us with loud music.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Surely having a model show at Duxford on the same day as Wings and Wheels will be detrimental to both events.    Will be less fliers and spectators than on separate days!    Who plans these things!

However I would say that going to W&W on a Saturday is not advised due to traffic going to the normal market which means several miles of stop start traffic jam ( you are forced to go past the entrance and come back 2 miles! )   Sunday is much better.