Cambrian MIRI Glider.

Michael Dearden 2

Many years ago, and we're talking 1970's, I bought and built a MIRI glider from a Cambrian kit. With its long tail boom it was probably one of the best models I owned over the years and at 82 would love to build another but they no longer exist. Cambrian ceased them back in the '80's.

Is there any chance of someone out there having a set of plans for this glider please???

Is that the one with the aluminium tail boom ? 

I thought it was ARTF & didn't come with a plan, just assembly instructions.

A couple of people who had them, they flew well enough but the ali boom was the weak link of the design. It bent too easily with any sort of hard landing, not good when slope soaring. Even moderate bumps meant the elevators &/or rudder needed to be re-trimmed because of slight bend of the tube. It would have been better with a "Ronnytube" for the boom.    

There were two versions. The 100" has veneered foam wings whilst the 120" had a built up structure.

There is an extensive thread on RCGroups which may just have enough information to construct a replica. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1173739-Cambria-Miri-120

image.thumb.png.d161b3a0223050683d34f880177fcf46.png

Hello Michael, good luck with finding a plan and please let me know if you find one. I still have my Miri 100 foam wing version, I built it with my dad a very long time ago. It’s in the loft and the wings are still in the original box, it flew really nice. May have to dig it out, good luck.

Wayne.

• 2 years later...

Hi Michael,

Have a read of these two threads.

https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/7282760-cambria-miri-120"-ever-seen-one-pics.html

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1173739-Cambria-Miri-120

The second one goes to 17 pages but unfortunately fizzles out, the guy remade the fus and was redrawing the wing.

There might be enough info there to build a wing.  Unfortunately the original wing plan was truncated.

Cambria Miri wing.jpg

Cambria Miri.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the Miri 100 with the Futaba m series radio off eBay a few weeks ago . I had one many years ago . I am thinking of making a mould so I can remake the fuzlarge . I do a lot of moulding . I will remake it with a carbon fibre tail boom . I will try to copy the wing rib shapes so I can make it a 120 . Looks like it could be made electric . 

• Like 1