Futaba challenger combo instruction sheet.

Advert

2 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Would much prefer a " simple" radio set like a new challenger which would do very well for my needs.

Hi Rich,
Simple non-computer 2.4GHz sets do exist.  The Spektrum DX4e and DX5e use dip switches both for servo reversing and to select elevon mixing. The only criticism, in comparison to the Futaba Challenger, is that the dual rate switch doesn't have a potentiometer for adjusting the throw on the reduced setting.  No doubt someone will have worked out a way to add this though. 

Keep an eye on Ebay, you should find a DX4e or DX5e for less that £20 if you are patient.

• 2 years later...

Greetings

Futaba  challenger fpt6-nl.

I'm hoping to resurect one of these units. Feeding 9.6v I noticed one of the RC filter components (sumida m44) gets really hot after 40s, 80° on the 3 unsoldered pins!

The tx was drawing 0.2a

Is this component replaceable? (Cant Find on Google) Can it even be tuned without scopes & Sig gens? (Or best to buy up a couple of other units and swap out the whole board?

Noticed the black wire issue PDQ. Be great to get this running, be so straight forward to run it on 18650 lithium batteries.

Its worth noting that the early Futaba Challenger was the FPT-6NL and didn't have a buddy box socket, whilst the later one was the FPT-6NFK (or FPT-6NPK)
I believe the early ones (6NL)  had electronic components with legs through the boards, whilst the later ones 6NFK & 8NPK) were surface mounted.