Futaba challenger combo instruction sheet.

Some years ago now I saved and bought a new Futaba challenger combo set ( FP-T6NL tx, fp r128dx dual conversion Rx, s148 servo's etc. ) and put the instruction sheet somewhere safe.

Too safe it seems as I just cannot find it !

Would someone on here has a copy please, for info or to copy and email me please ?

The info needed would be tx power voltage ( came with 9.6volt nicad tx ) maximum, and Rx ( came with 4.8v nicad ) power voltage maximum please.

Help greatly appreciated.

Advert

I probably have that instruction sheet, but I'm away from home for a few days.

However, I am pretty sure that the Tx has absolute maximum 12 volts due to the particular encoder chip used. In the original Futaba battery box, they supplied a dummy cell for when using dry cells. 8 x dry cells would exceed 12 volts when new, so the dummy cell makes it 7 x dry cells. Of course, 8 x Nicads would never exceed 12 volts, or not for very long once a load was applied.

The Rx should be fine with a 5 cell Nicad, since the standard Futaba servos are also rated as such.

The challenger was originally supplied for use with dry cells so 12 for the and 6vfor rx and servos will be fine. Or if replacing nicads with Nimh cells no problem. The tx uses 8 cell pack.  The rx can safely be used with 5 cell packs. Buy the ready to ho cells if you can as they don't discharge like ordinary Nimh cells.

Ps check over for any black wire unless stored without batteries.

Edited by Engine Doctor

I used to have a couple of these receivers. They were designed to work on 4 cell Nicad, or 4 cells of dry batteries. Hence the 4.8 to 6 volts quoted range. The 148 servo is also 4.8 to 6 volt rated by Futaba. Yours is a later one. Early ones came with  128 servo, same size to mount, but about a cm taller, and heavier. 

The Futaba Challengers were excellent sets along with the Skysport (still have one) that IIRC came along a little later. Reliable, nicely manufactured and easy to use, although not pocket money prices, were not going to break the bank in order to get going in the hobby as could be the case with many previous (and inferior) sets. Goodness knows how many they produced back in the day for the mass market, and also fostered a brand loyalty for many of us that still endures today. A sort of Honda Cub of the R/C world I suppose.

Yeah, wish a no nonsense radio set was available today not needing a computer to set up.

Sensible features, a no nonsense set which is reliable, it was. Mine has black wire corrosion, saving that job till winter as getting a new radio set for now.

Do we need 12 channels, I don't.

19 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Yeah, wish a no nonsense radio set was available today not needing a computer to set up.

Sensible features, a no nonsense set which is reliable, it was. Mine has black wire corrosion, saving that job till winter as getting a new radio set for now.

Do we need 12 channels, I don't.

Be honest with yourself................what percentage of your current radio's capability do you actually use? My DX8G2 is packed with gubbins and stuff that I'll probably never need on the types of models that I like. The mixers are useful to a certain extent depending on the wing type of a particular model but the huge ability to configure this that and the other in a multitude of ways is not of much use to me. I try to keep things simple but am not put off by using technology if it's of  a genuine benefit and reduces workload or whatever.

I had to smile at reading about Android based trannies, can't think why I'd ever need such a device other than to have it as an ornament at the field! Seeing how moody my Android smartphone gets from time to time and seems to like to do its own thing, I'd not be at all happy with a radio based on it.

Edited by Cuban8

I liked the Challenger sets, and even when “obsolete” made good slave units on the buddy box. 
But, they also belong to an era when you had no more than two planes in regular use. And it could be a challenge to set everything up to fly on centre trims, or dangerous to rely on an extensive list to apply to the tranni, before changing model. Break a model, even a simple thing like a Wot 4 took a month to replace.

You make several good points Don. In particular the notion that for the most part, we didn't usually have the number of airframes ready to go as we tend to do now with ARTFs, foamies and bind and fly stuff. Hard to believe that with a simple TX that might only have rate switches (or none at all if we go back a bit further) we became adept at setting our models to operate from a single and fixed tranny and had to get all the settings or simple mixing by mechanical means........or 'Christy Mixer' for those of a certain age!

I remember a little later on, explaining how to set up expo on a model and the look of astonishment and wonder on the chap's face that such an 'advanced' feature was available on his gear!

In the "old days" it was just radio control, then servo reversers came along ( no thought or planning needed for control throw direction ) making life a little easier. Then adjustable "rates" came along further " deskilling" the hobby.

Mixing, that's the pilots job in the day ( elevons, mechanical mixing taken care of in design and making ) but today the tx computer does it.

Dreading having to have to have a computer to set up my new radio gear.

Gone for radio link t8fb (bt, UK spec) due  to cost and the 2 Rx that it comes with. Will post a thread about it and my experiences of it, hopefully all good, easy to set up and use, please god......

The Futaba Challenger was called the Conquest in the States, which was confusing, as the equivalent Sanwa transmitter was the Conquest over here.   Maybe it was due to memories of the ill-fated Space Shuttle, that Challenger wasn't used Stateside.  Anyway, Hobbico have the manual for the Conquest, and here it is: 

Futaba Challenger/Conquest Instruction Manual

My guess is the only differences will be the frequencies and part numbers.

The Sanwa Conquest had a nice feature with the quadrant flap lever built into the rear corner of the transmitter, right under one's forefinger.  The transmitter was let down by the wires breaking off the aileron potentiometer, which moved with the stick gimbal.  If it broke in flight, it was usually fatal for the model.

The Futaba Challengers suffered from weak on/off switches, so they weren't perfect either.

I had three Futaba Challengers that I used for buddy box training.  I only stopped using them when the buddy box connections became unreliable.  As Cuban8 says, the Skysport 6A was a very nice replacement, and could even be set up for elevons if you did the right combination of dip swithces and potentiometers in the back, although it wasn't intended to be possible.

4 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Mixing, that's the pilots job in the day ( elevons, mechanical mixing taken care of in design and making ) but today the tx computer does it.

I remember flying my HP18 V tail glider on my old Fleet PCM radio, which had flapperon and V-tail mixers, landing on the slope went something like this, raise the ailerons, lower the flaps, ether hold in down elevator or retrim, miss the landing lower the ailerons, raise flaps etc gain height and repeat. On the Cockpit SX (35MHz) the  procedure was apply spoiler control (on the throttle stick) flaps came down progressively as the ailerons were raised and elevator compensation applied, very easy to modulate on landing and the go-around was just move the stick, the added bonus was that as spoiler was applied aileron differential was reduced as ailerons were raised maintaining roll control. I know which radio I preferred to use to fly this model ?

Yeh, I just wanted to check on some stuff.

Mine has black wire corrosion to the switch, the switch is a bit dodgy.

Asked ripmax as they handle Futaba for UK, which was a waste of time, new Futaba oe switch unavailable.

New radio gear on its way.

Tight budget so went with radio link...

Would much prefer a " simple" radio set like a new challenger which would do very well for my needs.

If you come across the instruction sheets, could you copy and post on here please, would be a great help.

Thanks.