Microsoft Scam

Robert Cracknell

I've just had a phone call from a very helpful individual claiming to be a Microsoft engineer telling me that my laptop has been hacked hundreds of times and that lots of sensitive information has been 'grabbed'. He wanted to talk me through opening the event log to see who the hackers were (as if!). He then went on to suggest we check that the network was secure (there's me + 1 laptop - thats all) While this is going on I checked out the phone number he was calling from and, just as I had suspected - scam. I said to him that I would send his phone number to Microsoft and they would no doubt be in touch. Funny - he hung up without another word!!

In case any of you get a call the numbers were 0151 456 0201 and 0191 751 0055

Advert

The game is to see how long you can keep them on the phone to save someone else from being annoyed by them. I don't bother getting up to go to the computer but always complain it just crashed again, and again...

Especially as I don't run Microsoft it will obviously be a scam... again.

I did ask once, couldn't under stand what was being said, did they have someone who spoke English. She hung up immediately.

I get a loads of these here and on occasion i have been known to put them on speaker and carry on with whatever is i am doing while pretending to play along. When i ultimately get bored i tell them i am not actually stupid and that they should get a real job instead of trying to scam people. They dont hang around, although one guy called me 3 days in a row soo clearly he wasnt the sharpest.