Domed nuts for large 4s Glow Engines

Tim Flyer

I would be interested to hear peoples views on the use of aluminium domed nuts as prop retainers especially for large four stroke glow engines. 

Obviously they have been used over the years on smaller 2stroke glow engines.

What I’m concerned about is that an aluminium thread is subject to wear and it would be hard to generate sufficient torque without distorting/damaging the nut in order to safely retain the propeller. Given the high torque of a 4s engine and occasional low rpm vibration I don’t think a single aluminium thread is suitable. 

I think the domed nut design where the rear  is hollowed out to accept the manufacturers steel nut and washer behind it is much safer for larger engines. 

Please see pictures of by my P47 domed nut from Just Engines.

This nut allows the steel manufacturers nut and washer to be used to properly retain the propeller behind it. 

55B82134-8644-4901-A70C-3BC898DC90D4.jpeg

Edited by Tim Flyer
Typo

Advert

The torque needed to strip an M8 or M10 thread in aluminium will be significant and far beyond what is possible with a T bar. You would really have to go some with a long spanner to get enough torque on it to strip it. 

I used an ali dome spinner we made at Laser on my stampe when it first flew and never had any problem. I stopped using it as i didnt have a suitable flat washer and it was munching the prop face when i did it up with the T bar. Also, the 5mm T bar wasnt really man enough for the job. I could have used a c spanner but i didnt have one and didnt want to buy one just for that job. 

In response to the overall question though Ali is fine as a dome nut provided you can tighten it to the required torque so normally spanner flats will be needed on larger nuts as a T bar will not do the job. 

Lovely long dome nut from Jon on my P47. I also wasn’t convinced I could get sufficient torque with a rod through the hole, as it isn’t that big, so I drilled out a hollow so it tightens over the regular prop nut as you mentioned in your post. Works great and I like to think of it as a lock nut for added security. BTW Tim, since you saw  it’s shaky maiden it is now well sorted and a brilliant model to fly.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Cheers Nick your P47 Looks superb ! You did a great build. 
I’m really pleased you now have sorted it out. I really love flying my P47 too . I have often heard they are a “really friendly Warbird to fly” , and I certainly agree. My model is only an ARTF Seagull with a Laser 100 but I definitely enjoy it very much . It’s the plane that really got me hooked on Warbirds.