CG position

Mike downs 1

Advert

14 hours ago, Mike downs 1 said:

Still don’t get it…….Have I wandered on to a different thread?

Mike, the boys are just having a bit of word-play fun (in an immature/senile sort of way, possibly fuelled with a bit of French brandy).  It all started when I pointed out that you'd not said in your opening post exactly what you'd designed, and added that for all we knew you could have designed a flying 'carrot peeler' (which is the same thing as a potato peeler) only because it was the first object that came into my head!

Mind you, I'm now seriously exploring the potential for a whole series of free plans in RCM&E of designs which are inspired by kitchen utensils... starting with a potato/carrot/parsnip peeler!

1352798132_Screenshot2021-11-14at07_41_07.png.09d719a3520799b0b10509ce0ef5df68.png

Please let us know whether your thrust-line changes make the desired difference.  It'll probably be a bit of trial-and-error with different thickness shims or washers, but I'd build up the shimming gradually as you don't want a sudden nose-down when the power comes on!

Jon

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2021 at 17:43, Mike downs 1 said:

I have designed a flying and used a cg finding app called ecalc

it gave me a cg at 3.5” from the le

at full power it climbs steeply

,when I throttle back it levels out

any suggestions greatly appreciated 

The LE on the flying wing pictured is swept forward, plus it's a flying wing, which presumably has built-in reflex. Does the software take account of these two issues or is it for more conventional set ups?

Sounds like it might be a thrustline issue.

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

The LE on the flying wing pictured is swept forward, plus it's a flying wing, which presumably has built-in reflex. Does the software take account of these two issues or is it for more conventional set ups?

Sounds like it might be a thrustline issue.

I have introduced some down thrust,but it hasn’t made that much difference,so I will try the throttle/elevator mix.

I have used the wing beds(see photo) to make a Chuck glider and have a good cg position as this glides on a good slope

that is why I will try the program mixes which has been suggested.I will report back when I get the chance to try it out. Many thanks for all the suggestions so far

7D932D9C-A6F1-4784-A8AA-4917B35E65D2.jpeg

99B1A72F-6896-49ED-A7C8-BAEC2907DF1E.jpeg

Your motor is below the wing which means adding down thrust is the traditional approach ideally the motor thrust line should go through the CofG. You can keep adding down thrust (more washers) when it dips it's nose when power is increased means you have gone too far.

Is there any way you could raise the motor to be in line with the wings as this would be more efficient. 

Keep posting as this is interesting.

• Thanks 1

? 

10 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Centre of drag

?

The wings and fin cause the drag and the motor creates the thrust the photo of the side elevation shows the motor below the wings, clearly showing the reason for your issue, in flight the wings are pushing back and the motor pulling forward making the nose pitch up. Judging by the size of the fin the ideal location to minimise this is for the motor to be slightly above the wing then a small adjustment of the down thrust will have a large effect. CofG comes into my logic as in flight the model rotates around this point so with the motor thrust line passing through the CofG there will be no rotational effect. I know it's just my logic but it's an approach that has put me on the right path to curing this issue. Once the thrust line is close to ideal moving the CofG can be used to fine tune. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted out the problem by making a scale Chuck glider out of depron, scaling at 1” to 1 cms. Tried that until I had a nice glide.

meant that I had to move the CG position by approx 1in h forward. Model now flies stable and slow..Picture shows both together.

many thanks to all who put forward suggestions.

8B9AE0ED-36C3-4085-A60D-E45438F676CD.jpeg

• Like 4