Perfect model

Jim Halliday

hello all, I am beginner into aeromodelling and at the moment fly a "Multiplex Magister" electric version, which I find perfect in the ideal conditions, however, as soon as the wind gets up it becomes quite a handfull. What I am now looking for is a model that can cope with windy situations, either build by plan or rtf I have no preference, would I be better looking at "glow plug" for more oomph or are their better alternatives comments and suggestions please.

Many thanks 

Advert

just by way of explanation Ive only been in the hobby for just over a year so this is a personal observation only..............I fly a Flair Mk4 Kite running an OS AX 46. Its heavy, quick, and very robust so far, and tip stalls even if you just look at it from a funny angle, but Ive never not managed to fly in all but the worst of weather............... 

Bob

take a look at the Cougar 2000 from Weston UK. they can be setup on low rates to act as a trainer or increase to full rates and they are fully aerobatic. you can even prop hang them. Although they are only about 48" wingspan they handle the wind without much effort at all and also land at a walking pace. admittedly they are a bit pricey for a trainer but if you think this will also lead you into aerobatics by only changing the rates then it is actually a cheap option in the long run.

take a look at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vG1pha3hEzg and you can see what this plane does in the hands of a skilled pilot

Jim depending on your budget you might just want to convert your Multiplex Magister to a gas ic motor.You will get more weight and more speed but it should handle better in the wind.I don't know what kinda electric setup you have but the one I saw for the magister was brushed with a gear box running nicads/nimh batteries.If that is the setup you have you will see a big difference in going IC.If you decide you want a new plane any top(high) wing plane should be a decent trainer.I have found that for me running my balsa ic planes work better in the wind. Try a cubby or simple stick it will fly good in most situations.

• 2 weeks later...