My First Build-Magnetila

Dowel to me sounds a bit on the heavy side & prone to vibration problems .Its the cross sectional area you need .Anything "stronger" than a servo gear is not required .Anyway -hope you dont have to pay a visit to the local church roof over Xmas to balance up the A/C  Yes !  on my pup the rods needed a bit of fiddling with so as not to catch on anything --Pretty tight at the rear end & had to stop them turning on their axiis  (lock nuts on the clevises )

Advert

Not that drastic Stephen -Just that you'd be better off using light large dia balsa or even foam rolled up in paper reinforced with glue spread over it   etc etc  In other words I think you must have got the message that anything nearly anti-gravity is perfect for aeroplanes  (the heavier they are the harder they fall -Its called inertia )  Just imagine a weightless A/C !  Dont forget that for every ounce (sorry Gram ) extra unwanted weight behind the intended C of G  due to moment arms etc -You will hav e to compensate (off the church roof ) anything up to about five times the amount on the nose .  To finish my deliberations I suggest you put back your balsa (if its not that weak ) Maybe cover it in tissue paper with watered down PVA Hope this helps unless you intend flying in gales of course

I need some help,I started by fitting a Leo ,but have now decided to fit a new OS 40 LS. THe OS is smaller so the engine mounts( wooden ) are to wide and the holes to far back.Am I making the bearers to weak by drilling fresh holes further forward,and should I fill the old holes with Epoxy to give the bearers some strength back?

Stephen   

What are the cross-sectional measurements of the bearers ?  .In my humble opinion what you intend to do will be OK .Done it myself on several models .Maybe the addition of a small aluminium plate well roughened & epoxied on to  the lower side of the bearers would help if some holes end up either too close or run into each other .

Went well last night.When my Chinese Girlfriend left me she left lots of chop sticks.Using 1 i trimmed it to fit each hole in the bearers and using epoxy glued them in.I drilled the new holes and using alli plates fitted the engine.Then fitted the tank ,but have to shorten 1 pipe tonight.Fitted the throttle pushrod but on the way to work decided to try a different fitment onto the servo,.I then made and fitted  ply sheet at the rear to take multiplex tiny servos for the rudder and elevator.This actually saves quite a lot of weight.

Hi Stephen, Are these bearers twisted? maybe, its photographic distortion, but, it is important that the OS lugs sit absolutely flat on the wooden bearers. If not, the engine can distort when hot.                        I'm with Grumpy Myron re. the exhaust 

ernie