My First Build-Magnetila

I recently took up model flying or in my case model crashing.To assist myself in model repairing I decided to build a kit made up of sticks and planks instead of ARTF. Every thing has gone well,Ive managed to unstick the bits in the wrong place where theyd obviously got it wrong onthe plan,it wasnt me was it? Then of course I did haveto take responsability for the two left fuselarge sides,but did somehow manage to split one with all fingers intact.Now here is my broblem.Ive built the tank box with the built in side and down thrust,and i have slid it into place. this leaves some of the box protruding, and I seethe 2 thrust angles required,but how far in do I push the box in and how much prorusion do I leave?I see that the square in the firewall is the same size as the box so buttsto it which will angle the fire wall but then the engine bearers slide into the box and the only thing that attaches to the firewall are the bearer supports.The firewall is shown as butting directly onto the second firewall but is this correct as ththrut angles should surely leave a small gap ?could I have some help please !

Advert

Stephen

Unfortunately I can not give you any building advise but hopefully can give you encouragement.

I started out with a Boomerang and whilst it looks a super model I had my  reservation about its sturdiness.  Unfortunately that did not get tested as it virtually self destructed, in a manner which no plane would have survived  on its second outing (Was hooked up to BuddyBox).  I looked around for a model that was not going to be so responsive and more forgiving.  I picked up a ready made well built Magnatilla for an absolute song complete with all servos and an OS 40 FS.

I have been up three times with it and it is an absolute dream for the learner. It is so stable and does not jump about all over the place.  On my third flight, in total, I landed it and I have to say with the model and the hours I have put in on a flight simulator this was so easy.

If you could post photos of the areas you are enquiring about I can easily measure and give you feedback.

Whatever you do, do not give up on this model as all your time spent will be rewarded and more so.  I have an SE5a that I have been building for a number of years now and am tying to get it finished.  If this project was not ongoing I would consider the Magnatilla.  

Yes its a Flair kit,It doesnt show how far back the tank box should go,and the thrust angles are from that box.I,ll do asEric suggests andpush it in to leave F1 at those angles.I didnt want to build aproblem into the fuselage that could not be trimmed out after wards or modified with washers if necessary afterwards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephen, If you have an engine that is not reliable, then the only place for it is in the bin..Why not set up your engine on a test stand, and check it out on he bench.  Just Engines do a test stand for just under £15  4 strokes are lovely things. not so fast reving as a 2 stroke, but quieter, and a good noise (it that's your thing)   just engines do an ASP 51 for a whisker over £88.   But, I can't say it enough, a dud engine is a constant source of fustration, and of course it always gives up at a critical point in the flight

ernie

Hi Stephen Looks really good, definately needs a 4 stroke....you could put a pylon and some fake bracing wires above the cockpit to make it look more scale. Try google images, and tap in fokker eindecker to give you an idea..What are you covering it with? Not the awful film,I hope....solartex is just the job, and it's oh so easy to apply

ernie

I started my first kit build because I had anew Leo 46 and wanted something to put it into. I never realised how personal a build becomes,you want things roght and th phrase measure twice cut once really starts to have meaning.Reading a thread on the Leo engine I started to get a bit worried as to how reliable this engine is,some had caused problems ahen being run in .So,im not prepared to sacrifice this build .with this in mind I purchased a Thunder tiger Pro 46 .i have already found a project for the Leo. A 1974 Apollo by Graupner that may not have been flownSomeone was going to use it as a an  engine test bed  so Im putting it to better use.I purchased some parts for the Magnatilla so I intend on carrying on thf build this evening

If you haven't solved your thrust problem yet, the hardwood engine bearers in Flair kits are set to the correct angles.  As long as they are fitted in the way Flair say you should be fine.

Ailerons on the top of the wing don't work any differently to those underneath, but I put mine underneath so everything was more concealed.

The plan and kit   did use square balsa but it looked a bit tight inthe fuselage,and  soft so I bought dowel instead.I drilled a hole but in cutting the groove the end of the dowel split twice.However Last night I successfully made  2  pushrods and using Epoxy glued and bound the ends in place.I also  using Solatex covered 1 side of the stabilider so ill carry on with covering tonight